Blocked drain(s)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks,

I have a big problem with blocked drains and I'm hoping for some advice please.

It started with an en-suite shower in which the tray fills up almost to the top, then drains, presumably as the pressure and the hot water take their toll.

Then the toilet and the basin joined in. Draining one makes the others gurgle. I tried a drain opener I've found effective in the past, both on the basin and the shower - several times, with moderate improvement.

Now, all three toilets in the house refuse to flush properly.

My question is - who do I call in? A plumber or Dyno-Rod?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Do not call Dyno Rod or any of the other franchised drain cleaning companies unless you have very deep pockets! Have you checked to see if the Neighbours are affected? If the drain is shared, or the affected section is under neighbouring property, you may well find the Water Company are responsible, and will attend free of charge. Worth a call anyway, if they send someone out, they may well deal with it whilst on site.

If you do need to engage a contractor, phone around and get a fixed price before anything gets done.

Thanks Hugh,

But what if I call the water company (Anglian Water) and they find it's not their problem? Won't they charge me a fortune?

here is something you can try if you have a mop ( old type that looks like a wig ).go to the lowest toilet in the house. ,put the mop in the pan ,twirl it to attempt to make a seal at the bottom ,and pump up and down.good idea to have a big bucket of water to keep adding into the pan. this will create enough suction /pressure to push thru any minor blockage.try to keep the mop head covered in water while pulling the handle up and down. have a bin bag handy so when you are done put mop head in bag. good luck

Sponsored Links
Thanks Terry,
Sounds like lots of good clean(?) fun. I will definitely try it..
I tried with a big plunger thingy from Homebase, but I just couldn't get a seal - splashed water all over the place!
I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheers

here is something you can try if you have a mop ( old type that looks like a wig ).go to the lowest toilet in the house. ,put the mop in the pan ,twirl it to attempt to make a seal at the bottom ,and pump up and down.good idea to have a big bucket of water to keep adding into the pan. this will create enough suction /pressure to push thru any minor blockage.try to keep the mop head covered in water while pulling the handle up and down. have a bin bag handy so when you are done put mop head in bag. good luck
The old ways are still the best
(sometimes). :D

And once cleared, make sure no one in the house is putting wet wipes (including make-up ones) down the pan!

It sounds like you have a blockage in the drain line or manhole. Trying to unblock one toilet won't help.

Go to your manhole and check there. I doubt it you are in Hertfordshire? If you were then I'm your man!

But as Hugh says, phone around and get a 'fixed cleared price'

Andy

Your buildings insurance might send someone out, quite often they will stand the cost of a one off blockage.

Thank Guys,

I will try all these suggestions and let you know how I get on..

Andy and Ian H - unfortunately I'm in Norfolk. Bit of a hop from Hertfordshire, never mind Rochdale!

Anglian wont charge you to my knowledge, we're a pretty helpful bunch usually. Ultimately, if they cant clear it I expect whoever attends to explain the options. www.anglianwater.co.uk or 03457 145145

If you want expensive, just call out the orange vans... Hoping you've got it sorted by now though!

Go to your manhole and check there. I doubt it you are in Hertfordshire? If you were then I'm your man!

But as Hugh says, phone around and get a 'fixed cleared price'

Andy

I agree check your inspection chambers. It is likely to be a blockage where all three toilets use the same route.

Andy, do any drain cleaning firms ever give fixed price quotes over the phone?

Because blockages can be so varied and to properly clear can be quite involved, that would surprise me.

My mind is straying to drains blocked by intruding tree roots or even a collapsed section!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back