Blocked drain(s)

Yes, sorry, that was just a joke with the word Norfolk in it. Sounds like a Scottish guy saying 'no ****ing chance'.

If your neighbour flushes and you see movement give your water board a call.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John,

The joke's on me. Stranger things happen here though. There's a saying "Normal for Norfolk"..

Fortunately, unlike Admiral Lord Nelson, I am not "a Norfolk man, and proud of that". I got dragged here kicking and screaming. I'm still waiting to see the funny side.

Yes, sorry, that was just a joke with the word Norfolk in it. Sounds like a Scottish guy saying 'no ****ing chance'.

If your neighbour flushes and you see movement give your water board a call.

Ian - NOTHING with the word 'Norfolk' in it is funny. Except possibly something like 'Norfolk has just been obliterated by a massive asteroid'

Hope the asteroid hits your drain and dislodges the blockage! Let us know how you get on with the water board (or your local low priced drainage non franchise operation)

Sponsored Links
I had the considerable pleasure of unblocking the drains at my house, this weekend.

You need to locate the next inspection chamber that is downstream from the one that is full of sewage. If this one is clear, then you know the obstruction lies between the two. Keep going until you find a clear chamber. Nobody wants to go fishing in a chamber full of turds.

I am blessed with the most splendid of neighbours so i was able to go into the garden next door to find an empty chamber to rod from. Another neighbour provided two sets of rods and a strong constitution. It took three sets of rods - 90 feet - before the obstruction was hit. Stand back, because it comes out with some force. We were all done within an hour and the only cost was the cost of a hot wash for the clothes. Invest in a set of rods....They are not expensive..

£90 fixed cleared price, or I walk away with no charge.

(It would take me 2 minutes to unblock with my jetter.)

Andy

You might be lucky and be able to unlock it with a piece of wood. It could be a blockage in the outlet especially if it has an interceptor trap

Also known as a Buchan Trap .......as in " That's Buchan blocked allright Mrs.":whistle:

Or a Blackpool trap, I've heard them called that too.

Nige, do you know what the chamber after a tippler is called? The swirly thing with an 18"(ish) shaft and a gully in the bottom?

Sorted.

I phoned Anglian Water at 3:30 on Monday. They arrived about 8:15 (I wasn't home until 8:00).

They weren't able to clear the blockage that night, for fear of flooding the garden and/or disturbing the neighbourhood with noise, but they returned first thing next morning and fixed the problem - free!

The cause was a blockage next door but one, apparently.

I was very impressed by Anglian's response, and by their guy's professionalism. Well done Anglian, and thanks to everyone here for your help.

(Anyone need a free mop? Only used once.) Seriously though, the mop thing is good to know for a small blockage. Plungers just don't seem to fit properly into toilets.

ha ha ,loved the one about the mop used once only, one careful owner. glad your sorted ,and thanks for letting us know how you got on, all the best .T

Now you know who to call next time :D
And I hope your neighbour's were told to stop putting wet wipes down the big white telephone :)

Now you know who to call next time :D
And I hope your neighbour's were told to stop putting wet wipes down the big white telephone :)

I hope so too. Are they really that bad? Some of them say 'flushable' on the packaging, and when you compare them to what else goes down the pan...

Don't trust what it says on packaging- that info is to sell products not maintain sewers!

They get caught on sharp bits of bad benching, pipe outlets, limescale build up and concretions, etc and they do not break down but rather build-up eventually causing blockages.

Yes there is no legal definition of flushable, but technically if it disappears from view it's flushed. The water companies would prefer that the marketing departments didn't use that terminology but the convenient is a good selling point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back