Blocked shower not draining?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our shower is now blocked and this morning water was just standing..

I have a plunger and plunged the plug which keeps letting off bubbles (as if things were being moved) but still nothing.

I do believe we have a trap door fitted just behind the plug (as we had some smells coming back a few years ago from the septic tank) so maybe my plunging is in vain?

Any ideas of how to shift and unblock this? with either the plunger or putting some chemicals down?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
go ask your local hardware store for the best chemicals for the job. pour into the plug and wait a few hours, you will then need to plunge again. try to rather plunge in such a way that the blockage will come out instead of deeper into the pipes (press down slowly and pull quickly to force it up). be careful for the chemicals though. it might take a while for the blockage to reach the top, but it should eventually get there.remove the stuff with gloves or plastic bags (because of the chemicals) and flush out the shower, it will be fine now! ;)

Usually blocked by hair! Who has long hair?

Most shower waste grills will lift out or are held by a removable screw.

When its opened a hook made from a piece of wire coat hanger will usually pull the matted hair back.

Tony

Ok so I have plunged and have now used sink drain unblocker and still no joy?

I have attached a photo and the drain unblocked just sits at the level of the drain, and maybe only sinks 10cm overnight??

Also from the picture I can't see any screw or way to remove the actual metal sink plug to get in there??[/img]

Sponsored Links
The centre part of that drain rose may well pop out upwards, with care.
At this point I'd be heading for the wet vacuum cleaner......again with care if there's been chemicals down there.
John :)

On some of these, the centre bit can be teased upwards with a pair of pliers......go gently though - it may be stuck with crud.
If you have access to a wet vac, you should get some suction through it anyway.

That centre looks like it comes out. Failing that, plunge as much water out as you can then pour some one shot drain cleaner down (best stuff i've used) and leave for the time it says.but wear the right PPE as it doesn't half sting if you get it on your skin.

As an update yes the centre plug does just pull and pop out which is a bit easier?

But having looked and felt down the plug it seems sealed? which is odd I know

I have poured sink unblocker down it, and water and it just seems to sit indefinitely?

As mentioned there is a one way trap on this plug (but have been told this is further down the drain) but can't understand whats happened or where the water 'would' have drained to originally?

It looks like the shower side panel is sealed with sealer so i can't even take this off quickly and easily?

If you feel down to the bottom of the trap, you'll feel a ridge which is actually sort of a 'U' bend if you like, that the waste water rises up and then falls again into the outlet pipe.
The fixing for this particular trap - and it is a good one - is actually beneath the tray and shouldn't be disturbed from above.

Thanks will try and its difficult to see and get at.

Its just odd that the water just sits now in the plug? Even putting bleach/unblocker down that sinks below the waterline - so am not sure if its doing its job and getting to the blockage?

Yes, shower is the lowest point as its downstairs, but yes sink in same bathroom drains fine and so do others?

It would be likely that the sink and shower waste are connected before leaving the building. If that is so, then that would suggest the shower drain itself is plugged with something.

Did you try the long wire to try to dislodge any blockage?

Can you get to the underneath of the shower at all?

When you plunged, did you fill the tray with enough water to just cover the base of the plunger, then slowly press the plunger down, then quickly pull it up? That should pull up all manner of nasty things you'd rather not be seeing.

It would be likely that the sink and shower waste are connected before leaving the building. If that is so, then that would suggest the shower drain itself is plugged with something.

Did you try the long wire to try to dislodge any blockage?

Can you get to the underneath of the shower at all?

When you plunged, did you fill the tray with enough water to just cover the base of the plunger, then slowly press the plunger down, then quickly pull it up? That should pull up all manner of nasty things you'd rather not be seeing.

Thanks for this.

I am trying to find some suitable wire that can get around the bend, as we have no wire coathangers here..

I haven't really plunged when the shower tray was deep in water (covering the plunger) so maybe give that a go? The first time it did block and it was underwater and plunged, alot of black debris and gunk did come out - but as the water just sat, i emptied this out and soaked it up to give me a dry tray.

I have been plunging dry, which maybe is doing nothing, and best 'under water' to get the correct pressure?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back