Blocked shower not draining?

Sponsored Links
Thank you, i suppose this makes sense now due to the air/water pressure when plunging.

The only reason I haven't was because if the water sits, I have to try and get the water out, mop it up etc, which took ages from a shower tray - but i will fill it to just above the plunger cup and plunge some more?

No chance of a wet vac, Mr. B?
I find often enough if the vac doesn't do it, then the drain has to be disconnected and washed through from somewhere.
John :)

Thanks for your reply, no dont have a wet vac im afraid.

Slightly baffled by this, as I have removed the plug grill, but putting some makeshift wire, down and feeling around with my fingers, I can't seen any opening at the bottom of the plug trap?

I know the water is running away somewhere! as had shower on and even though its slow, it runs away but the 'inside' plug sits in water (which it may have always done until the next lot of water flushes it down?) - this maybe something to do with the odour trap that we had fitted? View media item 85004

Sponsored Links
The outlet to the drain is actually on the side of this waste fitting - I know as I have exactly the same type in my shower, so you won't find it easy to stick anything down like wire coathanger etc.

How long have you left the sink unblocker chemicals down there for? I find it needs about 4 hrs to get to work then I flush with hot water using the shower hose directed into the waste (no good if you have a fixed head shower of course). My shower is pumped so plenty of pressure there.

Alternatively you could flush with a hosepipe - I find it needs that full force to clear the muck. You may also need to plunge but definitely do it wet. With the drain full of water the hydraulic pressure will help to clear it.

The outlet to the drain is actually on the side of this waste fitting - I know as I have exactly the same type in my shower, so you won't find it easy to stick anything down like wire coathanger etc.

How long have you left the sink unblocker chemicals down there for? I find it needs about 4 hrs to get to work then I flush with hot water using the shower hose directed into the waste (no good if you have a fixed head shower of course). My shower is pumped so plenty of pressure there.

Alternatively you could flush with a hosepipe - I find it needs that full force to clear the muck. You may also need to plunge but definitely do it wet. With the drain full of water the hydraulic pressure will help to clear it.

Brilliant reply thank you.

Right, so I have plunged wet to get the full force of the water pressure and nothing is really happening.

With regards sink unblocker chemicals down there, I have left up to 4- 24hrs and flushed with hot water and still not much joy.

When i pour sink unblocker, it just fills up the trap and pours over into the shower, so i can only put a certain amount down?!

I'm not sure I follow about the "outlet to the drain is actually on the side of this waste fitting ' - all i know is I can't feel it or stick anything down so you are right..

I might as a last resort use a hose from the tap (shower head is fixed) and blast it - but i know im going to get a soaking!!! :)

kbdiy : do you know the style of plug and waste we both have for this shower?

If I could then see a google diagram of how its working (below) I could maybe get my head around it better, as I have a limited view from above!

If you can get some assistance then hold the end of the hose in the waste and hold a cloth/towel around it to help seal it. Then get your assistant to turn the hose on. With luck the full force will be directed down the drain rather than back out over you!

The challenge is that the blockage could be a considerable way down the waste pipe so not actually that close to the shower.

kbdiy : do you know the style of plug and waste we both have for this shower?

If I could then see a google diagram of how its working (below) I could maybe get my head around it better, as I have a limited view from above!

This waste has a sleeve inside the body of the waste and the outlet cannot be seen or accessed from above OR below, so no good trying to get underneath it as there is nothing to see.

The principle is that the inner sleeve is the runoff from the shower so the water runs down the inner sleeve then back up the outer casing and down the outlet to the drain. As some water will always remain in the bottom of the casing, covering the bottom of the inner sleeve, this creates the water seal to avoid drain smells rising back up the waste. Sorry but that's the best explanation I can give you. Think of a tube inside a tube - that's about the best analogy I can think of.

Ok thats great, so still sticking a hose down there will blast anything away even though its a sleeve within a sleeve? same with chemical drain unblocker?

Yes it will do. The problem as I see it, is that the 'tube inside a tube' design doesn't allow for much force under normal flow conditions, so the likelihood of a build-up of muck is higher as the outlet flow doesn't have a direct 'push' from the water above (makes sense to me anyway!).

However if you can get the full force from a hosepipe with a reasonable seal around it and the waste, then I think that will be enough to blast through. It can't do any harm anyway.

I think you will just have to persevere unless you have access to the drain pipe further along the run and can work back towards the shower. Is the shower on its own drain pipe or does it tee into anything else before you can access it? If on its own then you could try a backflush with the hose - BUT do have someone watching the other end as it could get very wet and messy very quickly!!! Don't try this if it does tee into anything else - you will have water and muck everywhere!

Yes it will do. The problem as I see it, is that the 'tube inside a tube' design doesn't allow for much force under normal flow conditions, so the likelihood of a build-up of muck is higher as the outlet flow doesn't have a direct 'push' from the water above (makes sense to me anyway!).

Yes makes sense to me too!

So now I know why its a slow drain away after a shower and why the water always sits below the plughole.

Is there no way to remove the 'tube inside a tube' just to get access to any blockages/drain cleaner etc and put back before the shower is in use again?

No inner sleeve and outer casing are all one moulding so no other access as far as I am aware.

Looking back, did it get worse and worse, or was it 100% fine one day, blocked the next?
Are you able to pinpoint when it went wrong, and f so, did it coincide with any other work done on your plumbing? Maybe the waste pipe was shifted somehow so it doesnt have any fall on it...... :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back