Blocked Toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new to site, but need help/advice already!

We moved into ex council house nearly 4yrs ago. About 6 mths. ago we had a blocked toilet which required drain services call out (£120). This has now happened again. From what I can gather, blockage is from bottom of sewage pipe running to manhole. Have tried plunger/drain fluids, etc from toilet but still no luck. Must have cleared slightly as toilet takes about 15mts. to reach normal level. I really cannot afford another £120, can anyone please suggest something I could possible try. This is really causing problems!!! (mentally!!!)
Forgot to mention, with all my efforts at plunging, there now appears to be a slight leak at junction to toilet!! Just something else to raise bp!!

Cheers - Paul

Sponsored Links
I think you will make the situation worse if you continue to use the plunger.This will probably compact the blockage.You say that you have a leak at the junction.Do you mean it is leaking from the pan connector?

You may have a very unpleasant job.The blockage could be at the U bend in your toilet pan or it may be further down -perhaps in the soil pipe.Where is your WC-ground floor or above.If you can supply more details someone on the forum may have a solution.In the short term do not put any more fuids down the toilet.

Thank you very much for the quick reply. Our toilet is upstairs, the drain guys that came in August actually removed a piece of the pipe to see if the blockage was at the other side of the 'U' bend, it wasn't it seemed to go further down. Does this sound like it is going to be another call out and expense? We appreciate any help at all

Sponsored Links
Check to see if anyone is putting stuff down that they shouldn't..sounds odd I know. But I didi a job at a scout hut, kids were putting allsorts down it.

Suggest you consider using 'jet washer' with drain cleaner attachment, from the manhole end. The attachments are not cheap.

Re blocked pipe! - Well, Friday 13th. came early to our house. Holiday cancelled because of snow, then drain services camera discovers sewage pipe collapsed about 1 metre in from manhole.
Charge £76 inspection fee, returning today with invoice for suggested repairs. Informed it will be in excess of £1300!
No toilet, no money for this. Not insured (would not cover anyway).
Contacting Social Services today, Council (house mortgaged though), Building Society. Anybody who may be able to help!

I really would appreciate any serious advice re this situation asap.

Cheers, Paul.

horrible situation to be in mate, sorry ot hear it.

Are there any laws forbidding you from sorting it yourself?
At £1300 i wouldn't care, i'd do it myself.

1. If possible dig down to the problem area (providing it doesn't run under the building).
2. clean away the offending area
3. chop out the crumbled pipe and level it with a stihl saw
4. get 2 xadaptors
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/19914/Plumbing/Underground-Drainage/Flexible-Adaptor
and one new piece of orange 110mm drainage pipe
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14129...m;jsessionid=GA1ETARYMKLMMCSTHZOSFFA?ts=24715
and mend the break
5. Backfill.

Please note, this is only what i think i'd do with my limited knowledge and experience. I'm not sure if it would be feasible, but i'm extending my drainage pipe with the above mentioned connectors and pipe to accommodate a relocated soil/vent stack, so i'm sure its possible to fix it this way.

Hopefully some experts will pop along, see your plight and advise accordingly without it costing you a fortune.

Let us now how you get on.

Pretty much agree there, but you need to make sure you use the right connector.

The Fernco in the link is a reducer - you need a straight coupler.

Dan, its what i've used as the old clay pipes are slightly bigger than the 110mm orange pipes.

Can anyone confirm this.
I've actually connected all mine up, just not physically stuck it in the ground in situ yet.

tell me about it. I had to clear the one i'm doing, and one of our kids has cystic fibrosis and a side effect is really really pongy poo! :confused:

Pity me!

Ooh... a "pre 1936 pipe auto-repair switch". Not seen one of those for ages... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back