Blood Tests

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Being of sound mind but exceedingly feeble body, I have had more than 200 blood tests in the last 6 years.

What has often annoyed me is the complete disregard for hygiene that has been shown by the staff taking these blood samples.

I even had one nurse mess with a computer, twiddle her hair, blow her nose then proceed to prepare stuff for a sample to be taken. She was most upset when I insisted that she show some professionalism and discard the stuff, wash her hands, don gloves and start again.

The nurse today did not wash her hands, did not use gloves then proceeded to wash them afterwards. I asked her what impression she thought that gave her patients.

She looked at me quizzically for a while and it was clear she did not understand what I was hinting at.

Surely in this day and age there is a certain standard of cleanliness and hygiene that can be expected in this type of procedure?

Sponsored Links
I regularly have blood tests taken every 2 months or so and I can honestly say in the 6 years I have been getting them not once have I had cause for complaint regarding the hygiene issue. Andy, the guy who does them, and Paul the previous guy both wash their hands and dry them with a hot air dryer first. They then apply the sterilising gel to their hands before donning latex gloves. My arm is prepped with a swab, the samples taken, labelled and bagged and then given to me to hand in to the laboratory on my way out. After handing me the samples they then remove the gloves, wash their hands and, again, apply more gel before having a chat whilst they fill the details in on the PC. First class hygiene observations every time.
You certainly have the right to make sure they observe hygiene standards at all times and if they don't like it you can complain to the clinic head.

I was admitted to hospital once and the bed they gave me had a used urine bottle and a lucozade bottle underneath and confetti and blood stains on the bed table . I complained of course and it was cleaned but they seemed to think i was over reacting.
I once had someone write in the dirt on the back of my van "Just cleaned by the NHS" which summed it up nicely and had me chuckling all day !

Sponsored Links
Just be glad you aren't paying for them. :rolleyes:

I've had numerous blood tests and canula's fitted at a number of locations and the hygiene standards do seem to vary greatly my own GP's surgery seems to be the worst.

I've often wondered if the latex gloves are to protect the wearer or patient lol
Nurse puts on gloves and starts treating patient, then gets called away to the phone, takes the phone from receptionist while still wearing gloves and then returns to treating patient with same gloves

Another example of poor hygiene was after major surgery in a hospital with high rate of mrsa infections, cleaner enters small side room, starts cleaning around the washbasin, then wipes the top of the bin, then the underside of the bin lid and then comes across and wipes the table over the bed with the same cloth. I reported this to the Matron who said are you sure she used the same cloth, it should be a certain colour cloth for the bin etc. and a different cloth for the table, I said if i'd only seen it the once I may of had my doubts, but she did the same thing yesterday.

This was also the hospital where i refused to use the shower before the major surgery, because it was filthy, black mould all around the shower tray, thick dust on the floor of the shower cubicle and a dirty looking bra hanging on the back of the door. The nurse returned asking if i'd had shower and was ready for surgery. I said I wouldn't bath my dog in there, she went and had a look, came back and said "it depends on your standards" I said are you telling me you'd be happy to use that shower, "oh no " she said.
And they wonder why infection rates are so high

I took a blood/Hepatitis test last week. I hope I don't get a C

No you don't. The government just borrow and borrow to pay for it.

Blame Microban.

It's about time people stopped being so precious about a few germs. There will come a point in the not too distant future when nobody has any immunity to anything any more, because everything is sanitised to the nth degree. Unless you are immune-compromised, you will not die from having a blood sample taken in slightly 'unhygienic' conditions.

There are are more serious bio-hazards in McDonalds or KFC, or in the average bottle of infant formula milk, than in a hospital clinic, believe me.

There are are more serious bio-hazards in McDonalds or KFC, or in the average bottle of infant formula milk, than in a hospital clinic, believe me.

Why?
More people die after going into a hospital than going into a Maccy D`s.

How many operations do MacDuffs carry out? :rolleyes:

Why?
More people die after going into a hospital than going into a Maccy D`s.

Why what?

If more people 'after going into hospital' it is because they were ill or injured in the first place.

By 'bio-hazards' I include the long-term risks to health of eating the kind of garbage served in fast-food outlets, and the gastro-intestinal risks inherent in formula baby milk.

Why believe you?
Most who say "Believe me " at the end of a sentence are lying :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back