Taking Blood Samples

What about the heavy drinkers, smokers and overweight people knowing the NHS will treat them?

Sponsored Links
What about the heavy drinkers, smokers and overweight people knowing the NHS will treat them?

not sure about overweight people, but heavy drinkers and smokers will have paid vast amounts of tax.

That's a myth. Society pays big time for the drinkers and smokers.

By the time they become pensioners they have probably paid 80% of the health budget.

how do you figure that?

they paid in a lot less than we pay now, and we're paying in a lot less than our kids and grandkids will be by the time we retire.. it's called inflation..

masona said:
that's a little harsh..
I agree on the drinkers and smokers, they are strictly optional vices, eating however is a necessity..
You'll be moaning about drivers in car / bike accidents next.. it's their own fault for driving / riding, or hikers who breaks their legs, or people walking down the street who have a heart attack, if they stayed sat on their couch they wouldn't have had stresses themselves.

Sponsored Links

Source?

The only figures I can find are that tobacco related products generate around 10 billion per year for the exchequer and cost the NHS around 1.7 billion per year. A pretty good deal if true.

Alchol is around 8 billion is revenue. Which costs the NHS around 3 billion per year.

smokers can get patches on the NHS, drinkers have free support groups, but fatties have to PAY for weightwatchers etc...

Source?

The only figures I can find are that tobacco related products generate around 10 billion per year for the exchequer and cost the NHS around 1.7 billion per year. A pretty good deal if true.

We've been through all this before. Keep looking and you find it.

Source?

We've been through all this before. Keep looking and you find it.

No because I'm not the one making unsubstatiated statements.

Well something has to change - they are living longer and getting more treatment than ever before. It's a mathematical fact that they are sending the NHS broke.
You`re right...Because the way the Welfare State works is that those working pay for those retired. There`s a demographic timebomb waiting to go off. I`m going to be part of it :LOL: :LOL: You young`uns will keep me :LOL: . I hope there is life after death, I wanna watch the fireworks. ;) About 30 years time,I reckon

Well something has to change - they are living longer and getting more treatment than ever before. It's a mathematical fact that they are sending the NHS broke.
You`re right...Because the way the Welfare State works is that those working pay for those retired. There`s a demographic timebomb waiting to go off. I`m going to be part of it :LOL: :LOL: You young`uns will keep me :LOL: . I hope there is life after death, I wanna watch the fireworks. ;) About 30 years time,I reckon

involuantary euthanasia for the over 75's :evil:

not sure about overweight people, but heavy drinkers and smokers will have paid vast amounts of tax.
Doesn't really make any difference, if you don't smoke or drink everything is taxable on what you buy instead, yes I know taxes would have to go up.

What we don't really know is the true costs to the NHS causes by smoking, one example here which not taken into account

In addition, smoking poses a burden on non-smokers in other ways: passive smoking is estimated to cause several hundred, and maybe several thousand deaths in non-smokers. Some 17,000 under-fives in the UK are hospitalised each year as a result of respiratory conditions caused by their parents smoking, according to the anti-smoking group ASH.

Here's hoping joe 90 never reaches the age of 65 because he will be the reincaration of Victor Meldrew but ten times grumpier.

masona said:
that's a little harsh..
I agree on the drinkers and smokers, they are strictly optional vices, eating however is a necessity..
I think you're missing the point, eating is a necessity BUT eating too much and unhealthy foods isn't a necessity.
You'll be moaning about drivers in car / bike accidents next.. it's their own fault for driving / riding, or hikers who breaks their legs,
That's slightly difference as nobody knows what is round the corner but having said that, when you examine the causes of most accidents, you'll find that most accidents is preventable!
or people walking down the street who have a heart attack,
It is very rare for a fit and healthy person to have a heart attack.

4 months ago I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, 2 stones overweight and unfit.

I have done some thing about it, changed my diet to healthy eating doing 5 -7 mini meals a day (never hungry this way!) cut down on my drinking, brisk walking including steep hill 4 times a week before breakfast and joined the gym since 1st June 09 (5 times a week)

My blood pressure is averaging 110/65, my cholesterol level is 2.7 and have lost 16lbs but put on 11lbs because I gained more muscles as muscle weight more than fat. My waist was 36.5" but now 34.5". My fat percentage is approx 12%

I feel great, the best I ever been and all this in under 4 months. Don't you agree if I carry on with my old lifestyle habits I would be a burden on the NHS eventfully?

Sorry Secure, done off topic :rolleyes: :oops:

Doesn't really make any difference, if you don't smoke or drink everything is taxable on what you buy instead, yes I know taxes would have to go up.

What we don't really know is the true costs to the NHS causes by smoking, one example here which not taken into account

In addition, smoking poses a burden on non-smokers in other ways: passive smoking is estimated to cause several hundred, and maybe several thousand deaths in non-smokers. Some 17,000 under-fives in the UK are hospitalised each year as a result of respiratory conditions caused by their parents smoking, according to the anti-smoking group ASH.

No one passively smokes anymore. 17000, children hospitalised According to ASH, not very scientific is it?

Sponsored Links
Back