what do GPs do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to butt in (being a newbie and all) but intubation is where a tube is slid down the patient's windpipe from the mouth. It is inflated to hold it in place and then the patient can either be bagged or put on a ventilator.

A tracheostomy is where the incision is made in the front of the neck and the tube put in the windpipe that way.

And paramedics can intubate too. It's not as simple a procedure as you may think because you can quite easily put the tube down the oesophagus (gullet) instead of the airway - and pumping air into somebody's stomach ain't gonna do much for them.

I'll crawl away out now. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Sorry to butt in (being a newbie and all) but intubation is where a tube is slid down the patient's windpipe from the mouth.

You beat me to it.

It is inflated to hold it in place and then the patient can either be bagged or put on a ventilator.

Not body bagged but a squeezable bag used to pump air into the lungs

A tracheostomy is where the incision is made in the front of the neck and the tube put in the windpipe that way.

Last choice procedure.

and pumping air into somebody's stomach ain't gonna do much for them.

And doesn't do much for the people around when the casualty burps up the air and stomach contents. Can also be fatal for the casualty.

Hang around. this place is fun

You've got it wrong, Nige.

That's not 'intubation', it's 'in-tube-anus'

Sponsored Links
Not at all ... Just correcting your wholly inaccurate statement about hospital intubation and trying to understand why your son in law told you such nonsense.

MW

Perhaps it wasn't nonsense. Perhaps they're all dead lazy at his hospital. ;) On the other hand, perhaps because of his position he knows what really goes on as opposed to what's supposed to go on.

Perhaps the patients are all dead at his hospital ;)

Why don't you tell us all where this hell hole is so we can go somewhere else if we need life saving treatment :LOL:

well now :LOL: ;) that we can all do little medical procedure, our GP will do less :LOL: :LOL:

And paramedics can intubate too.

Alison, I gather that the problem with paramedics attempting intubation is that they can only do the part of the procedure that doesn't involve anaesthetic. And yet, without the anaesthetic, the patient's survival chances are very slight hence the reliance on anaesthetists. For example, a study done by doctors in the A and E of the Royal United Hospital in London found that of 486 patients who were intubated without the use of drugs, only one survived. In my original post I wasn't suggesting that paramedics should be trained to use anaesthetics. However, other doctors - including, dare I say it - surgeons, probably could do the procedure with drugs in a emergency.

What do the drugs have to do with it? I've seen them do it on Casualty without.

What's another name for poo Dennis? It's a play on words.

What is being discussed is Endotracheal intubation to keep the air way open so the casualty can breathe either with or without mechanical assistance ( mouth to mouth or bag and mask ). The airway being open is the prime concern of first aid and emergancy treatment. Only avoidance of danger to first aider or casualty has higher priority. No airway means no air in the lungs leading to death due to lack of oxygen.

It is the placement of a tube into the trachea to maintain a patent airway in those who are unconscious or unable to breathe independently.

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40024465/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back