Taking Blood Samples

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the unfortunate position of having to visit hospital regularly to have blood samples taken.

I want to describe my experiences over the last few years to see how they compare to anybody else who has had blood taken...

My first experience was at the local quacks. The nurse spent 5 minutes at her computer, all the while running her fingers through her hair. Then she got up, and proceeded to prep a syringe!

I asked her to wash her hands. She looked at me with a face like thunder, then said "Pardon?"

I repeated my request then waited. She stared at me again, then did as I had asked. Then she picked up the syringe she had just prepped with dirty hands... :rolleyes:

My second experience was at another local health centre. Similar, but this time the nurse was rummaging through the bins prior to taking my sample!!! :rolleyes:

Subsequent samples have been taken at hospitals, but my experience of procedure varies wildly. Some nurses automatically wash their hands and put on gloves, others just wash their hands, others don't wash hands but put on gloves & some do nothing!! Or in my case, they do nothing, then get asked politely but firmly to clean up before taking the sample.

One nurse even said to me, "I have just washed my hands, you know."

My reply, "Maybe. but I didn't see you do it. Please wash your hands in front of me."

I always insist now that at the very least they wash their hands or use a sterigel.

It's my body: am I being incredibly finickity or reasonable? Or somewhere in-between?

Be honest!!

Sponsored Links
sterile vacutube needle out of the packet? they don't touch the needle part do they? only the plastic bit and the containers

do you likewise wash your arm thoroughly before they take the sample? it's as likely that a germ picked up on the trip from your house to the hospital / nurse is on your skin prior to putting the needle in..
but then again they swab you don't they?

if I was a nurse I wouldn't even touch a patient until I had gloves on.. you hever know what you might catch..

and why do gloves come in a big box where the back of everyone elses fingers gets all ofer the gloves?
why don't they come in pairs in sterile packaging similar to plasters? surgical gloves do but not the ones they use on the wards..

Perfectly reasonable.
As you say, its your body and when they draw blood YOU then have an open wound
Conversely they should clean their hands AND wear gloves in case they have a small wound/puncture when drawing your blood as until it is tested they don't know if you have picked up an infection since you last visited.

In transylvania they dont use syringes, just their teeth

Sponsored Links
What you are witnessing is the decline of the NHS and Nursing in particular. As the husband of a ( now retired) nurse who has had 40 years experience, I have just received the info on the blood taking. No , it`s not necessary to wash hands immediately prior.The needle etc comes from a sterile pack. It would have been a "protocol" in the days of re-used syringes etc. We don`t make a habit of discussing work , but we have had enough crap experiences with the NHS and family members . As with most things in this country , NHS is going downhill .But it`s all supported by a few dedicated people who stand "head+ shoulders " above the general dross of layers of buracrats.

Surely Nurses taking blood should all be required to wear gloves regardless of infection. What about touching you with the very digits that have just been probing the intimate parts of the previous patient or patients.......
:eek:

It's my body: am I being incredibly finickity or reasonable? Or somewhere in-between?

Be honest!!

Honestly, you're a bit of an old woman mate.

Sorry about that, but you asked for peoples opinions, and that's mine.

The bit I forgot to tell you was when drawing blood from my (then) 3 yo boy. They took blood without washing hands then the nurse prepared a plaster to go on the puncture wound. She took off the plastic covering the self-adhesive bit and stuck the plaster to the back of her hand!

Then when blood was taken, she peeled it off her hand and stuck it straight onto the wound.

I was outraged, but it happened so quick, I could not stop it. I wrote a stiff letter complaining, reminding these nurses that the hands are a breeding ground for C. diff, Staphs & E. Coli.

The bit I forgot to tell you was when drawing blood from my (then) 3 yo boy. They took blood without washing hands then the nurse prepared a plaster to go on the puncture wound. She took off the plastic covering the self-adhesive bit and stuck the plaster to the back of her hand!

There's no excuse for that. I hope that she was severely reprimanded.

Okay, i know i'm thought of a bit of a lowlife on here by some people, but feel a need to add what i have to say.

My other half is a really good reliable, concienties(can't spell no more :rolleyes: )
worker, she,(cats mother?) came home crying every night after working at the hospital.

She left after a chat with her superviser, (our friend?) they actually employ "quick" whip around people.

LONG STORy short, 3 coloured mop buckets, etc, red, must not leave an infected area, found in the nurses toilets,she reports it.(amidst of the mrsa shlt, no joy,)

Next time, theyr'e on the ward. I asked her to go public, she couldn't handle it to be honest, and
i don't need the attention.

Next time, theyr'e on the ward. I asked her to go public, she couldn't handle it to be honest, and
i don't need the attention.

anonymous letter to the relevant higher authorities?

Just bears out what I said. NHS is going to the dogs. All this glove-wearing is a load of ******. How come people didn`t get infected 40 years ago when my Mrs. started :rolleyes: . Take half- educated kids, put them in a university , give them an easy degree, out they come as "nurses". Computer monkeys more like . Then theres the hundreds of pen pushers.The clowns running the Estates depts. Please yourselves .Think what you like . We know it from the inside.
"Relevant Higher Authorities" :LOL: :LOL:

80% of the health budget goes on pensioners. It's simple - stop treating pensioners for free. Make them pay.

Well something has to change - they are living longer and getting more treatment than ever before. It's a mathematical fact that they are sending the NHS broke.

Sponsored Links
Back