Bloody Dentists

S

Shutpa

Moved up here and found a dentist who carried out an extraction. Charged £20+ and the told me that he had left a bit of the tooth but that it would work itself out. The gum became diseased and another dentist charged me the same again to remove the stub. Dentist number 3 spotted a chipped tooth and said that he could sort it for around £30. He tried three times and each time it lasted about a day. He did fit two crowns and dentist number four said that one of them was loose and the she would have to refit it. She did for £70+ and after a few days an abscess formed and she said that the tooth would have to be removed which cost me another £35! To cap it all (no pun intended) she offered me a replacement tooth for -wait for it - £2500.00! I declined.

Sponsored Links
Ouch. Health insurance?

I have only ever been to one dentist. I once went to see a dental surgeon at the hospital orthodontics to give a second opinion on whether i required major dental surgery*. I was terrified, and he was a black man. I'm not racist, but this didn't help my fear. I'm at ease with my regular dentist, i know him and he knows me.

*Turned out i needed 3 extractions under general anaesthetic and a brace for 20 months. :( I was well miffed. BUT when the treatment began i was still in education, so it was done on t'NHS :D

i hate dentists too.

everytime i go they always want to do something, they dont seem to understand that no matter what they say a capped tooth will come off, and you have to pay more to have it put back.

I opted to have it pulled out.

cost £35 and that was including a special anethatist to inject me.

and i then slept for the next 22 hours.

Odd thing was, as the dentist told me would happen, i was consious through out, but dont remember a thing.

Aparently when the tooth was pulled they asked me to get up and go to the recovery room which i did, but i dont remember.

breezer said:
i hate dentists too.

everytime i go they always want to do something, they dont seem to understand that no matter what they say a capped tooth will come off, and you have to pay more to have it put back.

I opted to have it pulled out.

cost £35 and that was including a special anethatist to inject me.

and i then slept for the next 22 hours.

Odd thing was, as the dentist told me would happen, i was consious through out, but dont remember a thing.

Aparently when the tooth was pulled they asked me to get up and go to the recovery room which i did, but i dont remember.

That's interesting as I had exactly the same done when i was 18 - and was concious throughout but couldn't move. I felt ever last twist and can even remember the dentist's comversation with the anesthetist .

Apparently they give you a shot that paralyses you then makes you forget about the whole incident. I'm betting you feel the whole thing. Thankfully, that's been banned now.

Sponsored Links
when i had my wisdom teeth out, i can remember sitting in the waiting room after dribbling and talking incoherantly with a mouth full of cotton wool and my father picking me up and taking me home. That was with the same sort of injection. Cant remember the actula tooth being pulled out. I had the last two taken out at a different dentist under a local. much easier and quicker and no after effects. didnt like the crunch as they pulled it though! (much cheaper too!)

I lied earlier, one tooth was removed under general, as it was below the gum line, i could only have soup for the next 2 weeks as my pallet was swollen and stitched up. I remember when the stitches had dissolved enough to pull out, one stitch went through from the front of my gums to the back, between the roots of my 2 front teeth. That was a pleasant, wierd sensation to pull out :LOL:

The other 2 teeth were removed under local about 2 months later, he described it as "freezing" my gum, thats what it felt like. He tapped my gum and said "can you feel that?" I said yes ,as i wanted more freezing lol, i didnt want to risk feeling anything!!! Unlike others though, i do remember every last detail :( He actually had to freeze my entire mouth, as it was both my upper premolars being pulled (half way back)

It was the 'shot-in-the-arm' that you were knocked out with - not a 'freezing' of the gum.

perhaps i should mention, my tooth was pulled out er, i dont remember but less than 2 years ago.

similar (or same) stuff was injected when i had the snip, i was concious but dont remember anything

General anesthesia can only be carried out in hospital. A young girl died in Long Eaton (Notts area) about 12 years ago and so it was banned.

worse one i had was an abcess under a rear molar. it kicked off one night with the most amazing pain. my wife drove me 15 miles to the emergency dentist. I was lirterally kicking the walls in pain. by the time id got there it had gone off. the dentist was an absolute ******. he couldnt see anything, and told me to wait outside for a while, virtually didnt belive me. went back in and said there was nothing there just as the pain came on again. at that point i grabbed hold of him and pulled him towards me pointing to where the painful tooth was. after a few choice words he found the offending tooth and did some work on it. Next day went to my dentist, who said it was one of the biggest abcesses she had ever seen. as soon as she drained it my head felt like it imploded.......oh the relief! she couldnt belive the work the other dentist had done or that he couldnt find it.

Draining an abcess can make you very ill. The general route is antibiotics to kill the infection, then work on the tooth a few days later.

well it made me feel better when they did it talk about instant relief!

it makes you wonder how they got on a couple of hundred years ago with no dentists and no pain killers.

joe-90 said:
it makes you wonder how they got on a couple of hundred years ago with no dentists and no pain killers.
Dont you wonder why people are never smiling in old paintings?

i remember the good old days when they stuck the gas mask around yea gob, i always had this strange little man running around in my head then the next minute spitting blood in a bowl, after a few of thos i always brush mi gnashers twice a day and the golden rule is the first sign of a cavity get the git filled.

Sponsored Links
Back