Bloody hell, mad roofers are us!

I can live with that. We seem to pay our council tax to Stockport, though.

Yup.

We both live in Stockport, we pay CT to SMBC, but because you live in Gatley, your Post Town (address) is Cheadle, not Stockport. Whereas I live in Bramhall, which is SK7, ie Stockport, not Cheadle.

Having said that, if I walk to the bottom of my road, it becomes Cheadle, ie SK8.

It gets even more confusing with phone numbers.

GPO allocated customers in our area the local codes 485 and 439.

According to the GPO's own book, 485 is a Cheadle Xchange, while 439 (and more recently, 440) is Bramhall.

Yet I know folk who live in addresses with an SK7 postcode (Bramhall, Stockport) who have a number with a Cheadle Xchange (0161 485 XXXX)

And conversely, those who live in SK8 (Cheadle, Cheshire) addresses have numbers with a Bramhall Xchange (0161 439 XXXX).

Confused? ;)

Sponsored Links
No, not confused SS. Different agencies all have different ways of dividing up the country. Postcodes and telephone numbers, for example, often bear no relation to the county which they represent, be that the 'modern' political counties or the traditional counties.

What I feel is important, though, is that our traditional counties have been as they are for many centuries, something that we are at risk of losing due to some bureaucrats deciding that borders needed to be moved for political reasons. Such things as which your local government was and to whom you paid your rates (council tax) seemed to work perfectly well before 1974.

Glad we got Rutland back.... ;)

PS. Re the telephone system, did you know originally it was partly based on the spelling of the place names?

I don't mean the Xchange, like BRAmhall (which does not equate to 439)* but the STD code where for example, Aberdeen is 01224 (22 = AB) and Winchester is 01962 (96 = WN).

* Some Xchanges have remained the same.

HEAton Moor's Xchange is still 432.

Sponsored Links
Glad we got Rutland back.... ;)

PS. Re the telephone system, did you know originally it was partly based on the spelling of the place names?

I don't mean the Xchange, like BRAmhall (which does not equate to 439)* but the STD code where for example, Aberdeen is 01224 (22 = AB) and Winchester is 01962 (96 = WN).

* Some Xchanges have remained the same.

HEAton Moor's Xchange is still 432.

Yes, you often see that on telephone dials on old black and white films.

Back