4 Sep 2022
Reaction score
United Kingdom
We live in a Victorian terraced house and our neighbour has come over saying the render has blown near the coping stones right at the top, in between our houses. Turns out they’ve had terrible damp in the kitchen for 5 years but only mentioned anything a few months ago. He came over today saying kitchen electric sockets have flooded with a couple of the wires eroded away and has such bad damp they can no longer use 2 of the kitchen cupboards.
He had a loft extension done 2 years ago and said he’s had 2 contractors come over and they’ve both said it’s our house- neither have quoted to repair or came to speak to us. We’ve had 1 renderer come over to repair another area of our house, and he said the area in question looked fine.
We had no damp or water damage anywhere, we’ve checked throughout Inc the loft. Could this be something else on their side to cause such excessive water damage? It’s odd to be on our side and have not a drop of damage.
Sponsored Links
Is this a parapet wall on a pitched roof between their roof and yours?

or a parapet wall on a single storey flat roof

its hard to visualise
I can't imagine how any blown tender one side of the boundary could cause damp to a neighbouring property.
Sponsored Links
It’s the amount of damage that’s been done- to travel 2 floors and see no damage and suddenly there’s loads seems baffling. Especially when we’ve had an incredibly dry summer.
If it turns out to be my property I’ll happily repair it but I don’t want to spend £1000 ‘just in case’, especially when they haven’t had the damp investigated or any trace and access on the mass water in the electric sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local