Boiler dissertation help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i am a gas safe registered engineer who made the decision to do something on the side and ended up at university. I have my dissertation to write and i've decided to do it on why people choose different brands of boilers and what differentiates the brands they choose different from the ones they dont (features, the way the companies treat them, warranties etc etc.
Also looking towards the future, i'd like some insight on how fellow GSE's see the boiler of the future! What could be improved and whats waiting to be discovered! Any information or opinions would be greatly beneficial to me, and i look forward to hopefully starting a great debate in which will help me on my way to a first!
Thank you in advanced guys!

Sponsored Links
you would be better off joining the combustion chamber forum & asking in there ?

I'd look for something else to write about. A dissertation is supposed to be ground breaking and be research to advance knowledge, not marketing research.

Besides, you won't be able to stretch reasons such as "I liked the little blue light" into 10,000 words.

Has your supervisor agreed this topic for research?

I'd look for something else to write about. A dissertation is supposed to be ground breaking and be research to advance knowledge, not marketing research.

Besides, you won't be able to stretch reasons such as "I liked the little blue light" into 10,000 words.

Has your supervisor agreed this topic for research?

Not at first degree level Woody. Dissertations in the arts often start with, "A study of..." Masters and PhD, different story, but only insomuch as they 'illuminate'. Not that many doctorate theses break new ground.

Sponsored Links
Not at first degree level Woody. Dissertations in the arts often start with, "A study of..." Masters and PhD, different story, but only insomuch as they 'illuminate'. Not that many doctorate theses break new ground.

Really? When did things change.

As for PhD level theses, they are pure research so of course they break new ground.

Anyway, you won't be researching the difference in boilers, but really be researching basic consumer choice theory and the buyer decision process models, and applying those. Or at least that's what I'd be looking for.

It won't matter whether it's buying boilers or bars of chocolate, the purchaser will go through the exact same process and stages from identifying a want or need (and the influencing factors which impact on that) through to the purchasers own research, receptivity and ability to pay for the item. Then come the theories of post purchase satisfaction.

Has your supervisor agreed your chosen topic, and proposed method?

Boiler of the future a small plutonium rod inside leading to a self sufficient boiler without the need of gas or oil with a minimum life span of 10 years :D

Boiler of the future a small plutonium rod inside leading to a self sufficient boiler without the need of gas or oil with a minimum life span of 10 years :D
Au contraire, this was announced in circa 1985.

images.jpeg

Really? When did things change.
I fail to understand, woody, how you think you are in a position to offer advice on academic dissertations.
You flagrantly accuse someone of plagiarism, without a shred of evidence. I doubt that you even understand the concept.

I suspect the next big change on boilers will be on new housing estates being powered by nearby reactors, some nuclear, some biodigesters, and some ground source heat pumps going down 2 miles. I read an interesting article recently whereby they pointed out the stupidity of the EDF proposals as being unproven technology that would take years to test and develop, when there were already mini reactors developed and ready to go. If they can build a nuclear reactor to go in a submarine, then there's potential to use them on a smaller scale, but how many people would want to live on a housing estate near a nuclear reactor. Try discussing that in your dissertation.

Not my problem. Ask your mom.
At least my Mom had the sense not make unwarranted allegations of plagiarism without a shred of evidence. She also had the sense not to accuse someone if she had no understanding of the accusation she was making.

At least my Mom had the sense not make unwarranted allegations of plagiarism without a shred of evidence. She also had the sense not to accuse someone if she had no understanding of the accusation she was making.

I know. She's wonderful. But let's keep the thread OT (y)

Sponsored Links
Back