Iv Googled it! Yes that’s definitely what it looks like so by slow releasing the acidity into the ground could this do damage to a building if it’s close to the wall over time? Or like you said with it been so minimal is that not an option and maybe there flood downstairs was purely just from the floods last week also I would like to add we are on a water plane with a stream running though the gardens so purely a flood is possible and it’s just saturated and gone into their flat though the concrete flooring.
I do not think it is much more acidic than rain...V small quantities.even if it drained direct into the ground it would not cause damage.

Sponsored Links
Thankyou I know it’s got to be from the floods last Friday but I wanted advise incase anyone started saying it’s that! But it’s been there three years so far and done no harm so I can’t see it being the soakaway.

Thanks guys for all your help was panicking as it’s so close the their wall too but surely it can’t be that

The pH of condensate from a boiler is typically 2.9 to 4
condensate from gas boilers contains nitric acid
condensate will dissolve lime-based mortar.

oranges have a pH of between 3 and just above 4
lemons have an acidic pH. Lemon juice has a pH falling between 2 and 3

Sponsored Links
Yeh I’m sure that it’s not this was here before we moved in and for how long I do not know. I’m worried now that it’s caused damage to their property aiding the flood the other day. I only found this pipe on Sunday when I went down to have a look.

What can we do to solve this? Move it maybe but there’s no where for it to go. Would I be liable for this as it is my pipe? Surely the checks on the flat should have shown this isn’t right when we paid to have everything checked out before we bought. I’m getting a plumber out this week to go over everything

The pH of condensate from a boiler is typically 2.9 to 4
condensate from gas boilers contains nitric acid
condensate will dissolve lime-based mortar.

oranges have a pH of between 3 and just above 4
lemons have an acidic pH. Lemon juice has a pH falling between 2 and 3

Ordinary tap water has a PH level of 7.8
We add chemicals to the spa's in work to reduce it between 7.2 - 7.6

Stop worrying.

upload_2019-11-11_19-52-58.png

Torrential rain the suspected cause.
No mention of boiler condensate pipes.

The soakaway should be 500mm from the house.

Yes I does need to be 500mm and facing away fron the hose.

I've seen what this does to roof tiles on a job that it was just poking of the wall on to a roof.

Wow all that pipe work just for a pints of water or two a day. Can the white condensate pipe not just stick out the wall 30cm or so and drip off or is it a legal requirement maybe? :confused:

no. because it is somewhat acidic, like fruit juice. I have seen a neighbour who let it drip onto a path and it eroded it away, leaving a hole with small stones in it from the concrete that were not eaten. You would not want it dripping into your foundations.

You can run it into a drain where it will be diluted by your bathwater; otherwise the limestone chippings to neutralise it. They will themselves be eaten away so need to be replenished periodically.

Thanks. Can I ask how I change the lime chips? I do have a boiler man coming this week so hopefully he’ll be able to do this

no. because it is somewhat acidic, like fruit juice. I have seen a neighbour who let it drip onto a path and it eroded it away, leaving a hole with small stones in it from the concrete that were not eaten. You would not want it dripping into your foundations.

You can run it into a drain where it will be diluted by your bathwater; otherwise the limestone chippings to neutralise it. They will themselves be eaten away so need to be replenished periodically.

Correct John.... Unfortunately there to many monkeys claiming to be plumbers.

Shocking

Thanks. Can I ask how I change the lime chips? I do have a boiler man coming this week so hopefully he’ll be able to do this

Just lift the lid off and scoop out old ones... You should really move the pit 500mm away from the house. With holes facing away.. You could do this. Doesn't have to be a plumber

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back