Boiler installation problem. What to do?.

So far, I think that the installers only two crimes are....1. Rushing to make sure that the customer has hot water for the weekend and missing a connection. On this occasion he was unlucky there was an issue but it is easily sorted, no need to make a mountain out of a mole hill.....2. Not charging enough, which explains why he is rushing t make his money.

Generally speaking, I'm sure that the accountants at Viollent have done their sums and have calculated that all of their boilers of any given output will cost the same over their expected life.... The cheaper the boiler is to buy, the dearer the parts are.

Sponsored Links
Dont think Iv seen any of the posts mention turning off the the filler loop and turning the mains back on, then you can get on with your life.

I actually tried this after my last post. I wasn't convinced though because, unless I'm mistaken, leaving the filler loop open would increase the pressure to over 3 bar before the engineer could even pack up one tool - as opposed to slowly raising the pressure until passing 3 bar around 8 hours later in the middle of the night...

Also unsure which position of the tap is open and which is closed. Pretty sure it was in the open position.

Tried it anyway. Opened the stopcock in the kitchen. Went upstairs, and no matter what position the filler loop tap was in, nothing was happening. Could not hear water passing through the loop. No change in pressure....

?????

I'm clueless.

Depends where you are in London. Some areas, the pressure only goes over 3 bar at night.

Other areas, you're never going to get near 3 bar.

HAve you removed the hose from the loop.

Depends where you are in London. Some areas, the pressure only goes over 3 bar at night.

Other areas, you're never going to get near 3 bar.

HAve you removed the hose from the loop.

Fair enough. My only experience was when we were in Southend and the supply was from Essex & Suffolk Water. At 0 bar the boiler pressure would raise to over 3 bar with the filler loop open in around 5 seconds.

I'm in Essex on the border of both London and Herts. Served by Thames Water. So you may be right?

No I haven't removed the loop. Only part of the boiler I've touched is the tap/handle on the filler loop valve.

Sponsored Links
Pressure can vary from street to street.

The speed a pressure gauge rises is also not really relevant as it depends on several factors.

Search the forum for advise on filling loops, or post a picture of yours.

We've all been there. The amount of times I wish I'd just gone home to have a nice hot shower instead of busting my nads so the punter has hot water over the weekend only to have it bite me in the ar5e.

Just chill and give him a gentle *******ing monday

Of course if you'd had an Intergas fitted you could've had hot water without looping the heating pipes (y)

I'll post more pictures when I can.

As for rerouting the gas pipe... Should I even mention that I may have been smelling gas (from near the meter) as requested? It's an easy job but I don't want a(nother) rushed job... Or should I just not mention it and pay someone else to come and do that?

He was clearly and audibly getting stressed out doing the job on Saturday. Had to go and pick up some parts mid-job and left some on the shop's counter so had to go back. When I asked if he usually works Saturdays, he said thst he always works Saturday and Sunday, and basically told me of many other jobs he is trying to squeeze in.

If the gas pipe is rerouted by someone (else) at least I won't need him to remove the gas fire and back boiler as they will no longer be connected to the new gas pipe. I would take them out myself afterwards.

I'm already dreading the time when we get some heavy rain and I may need to tell him that water is leaking from the roof really badly around the flue if that is also rushed and not done properly on Monday. :/

If you genuinely think you can smell gas then don't p1ss about. Call 0800 111 999 and report a smell of gas. Your emergency service provider will come out and check for free but they're not there to give opinions on the rest of the install.

Better safe than sorry

I closed the gas mains valve after what happened during the night.

As per my earlier post he said that there was a dip of 3mb at the meter at first, 2mb after the install, but because the gas pipe is buried in the concrete ground floor, it would be easier to reroute than try to determine where the leak is, and to inform him if I smell gas (as up to 4mb is permissable so long as gas cannot be smelt) and they will reroute the gas pipe.

I'd be quite prepared to let him finish the current job properly, and then call that number if I think I can smell it again. And if there is a leak, pay someone else to reroute the gas. But I'd appreciate a second opinion as to whether this is the best course of action.

Last edited:
In my books any loss will give me sleepiness nights unless the said 4mb is at a hob with no smell of gas. Have seen a few fittings one time or another, held in place with flux, only showing a slight leak- said fittings dislocated during leak location. Now this kind of stuff is what nightmares are made of:evil:

Now that you have explained the situation, can see why you are not happy.
Might it not have been easier to get the Back boiler sorted? Easy to fix and built like a proverbial brick outhouse

OK, we now have probably all the information that we need to fairly well assimilate the situation.

He had not completed the connection of the PRV vent. BUT a careful installer in that situation would have filed the system and TURNED OFF the filing loop and REMOVED the flexible hose in case anyone accidentally turned on the filling valve.

Using the CORRECT filling loop there will be TWO valves in series to turn off.

I don't expect a cheap installer to use the correct Water Regulations compliant filling loop! They cost a little more.

Its not relevant but my telephone quote would have been:-

£380 ? Supply of boiler
£120 ? Vertical flue bits
£840 Installation
£220 Conversion to combi.
£200 ? Fittting vertical flue through roof.

£1760 Total !

Of course that's based on expectations of what is likely to be needed.

Nor does it cover any making good of the old fireplace.

But I am significantly worried that the gas supply is unlikely to be adequate if it includes old steel pipe under a concrete floor. It should have a minimum pressure loss on full power ( including gas cooker on ) of less than 1.0 mbar.

Tony

Last edited:
So your installer has made a silly mistake of leaving the filling loop OPEN and the hose connected. During the day that will not be noticed. But at night about 3 am the pressure rises significantly and will operate the PRV as you discovered.

That is silly but not serious at all. Apart from potential damage from the leaked water.

There is no reason NOT to let him complete the installation as planned.

But do get him to check the pressure LOSS of the gas supply to the boiler.

Tony

Note to readers:- If you discover leaking water then immediately turn on all the taps in the property as this will lessen the leak until you can figure out where to turn the water off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back