Boiler installation problem. What to do?.

The flexible tube is, presumably, the condensate. This should be connected to a waste pipe, or to a drain in a prescribed manner. Are you SURE it connects to the copper pipe sticking out of the wall? If it is, there shoul be condensate dripping from it. It (condense) may be connected properly, and the copper pipe is to be connected on monday to the PRV.

EDIT: Must type faster. Crossed with Dans post.
Just a point though, the liability on the part of the installer is not subject to their being PLI in place.

Sponsored Links
Flexible pipe is the condensate drain.

Prv needs connecting. Filling loop left open.

So one mistake and one job left to do.

To me you are being unreasonable.

That would be understandable if the boiler was kept out of service, but it was not. When would it not be unreasonable? If this has not been discovered for another 6+ hours? Serious question. To me it seems more like a mistake than an unfinished job as an unfinished job which is clearly not ready to be used would have been stated as such? The engineer clearly stated that the only thing left was the roof tile. No mention of the PRV whatsoever. I'm sorry if it seems unreasonable. I am a very reasonable person but the consequences could have been dire and that has stressed me out quite a bit. Should you keep using someone if you do not have confidence?

My other question would be, where will the pipe from the PRV likely be run to?

First inform, the Installer, you have both made a contract to have the work done, the Installer has a legal obligation to put right any faults and put right any damage caused by the faults that have occured ( that is if he has Public Liability Insurance)
To boot him off the job at this time means you will forgo any legal obligations on his part.

Thanks for the input.

The flexible tube is, presumably, the condensate. This should be connected to a waste pipe, or to a drain in a prescribed manner. Are you SURE it connects to the copper pipe sticking out of the wall? If it is, there shoul be condensate dripping from it. It (condense) may be connected properly, and the copper pipe is to be connected on monday to the PRV.

The pipe sticking out the wall is plastic, and yes, I saw it connected under the floorboards before they were replaced.

Since those boilers can be as cheap as £380 to buy then it is very likely the installer was probably due to be paid about £200 to fit the boiler, all to be completed in one day and without any power flushing. .

Huh? How did you reach that conclusion?
images

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-9_11-16-42.jpeg
    upload_2015-8-9_11-16-42.jpeg
    4.7 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The pipe in front of the gas isolation valve is the condensate. The pipe outside that it's connected to should be 1.25" diameter, insulated, and run to a foul drain

It looks like they've left the PRV disconnected, as you had diagnosed yourself

The last time I did this kind of job I charged around £2400+vat, but then I didn't fit the cheapest boiler I could get my hands on...

I think you should at least give your current installers the opportunity to improve their work. Have you reported the leak to them yet?

OP, You are speculating as much as we are.

For all you know his minion was told to do that pipe and forgot. He may have assumed it was done.

For all you know.

So in our opinion he should have the right to rectify and be paid what peanuts he is owed for the job.

For the record, in 16 years of doing this type of work in London, out company have ever charged less than £3k+vat for a combi conversion.

Guess it filters out a lot of the PITA ones ;)

OP, You are speculating as much as we are.

For all you know his minion was told to do that pipe and forgot. He may have assumed it was done.

For all you know.

So in our opinion he should have the right to rectify and be paid what peanuts he is owed for the job.

I don't disagree with Dan in any way. From the ONE photo it does look an OK install, but far too cheap!!

As said, it could be a simple mistake. If not, then it's a very daft thing to do leaving the PRV unconnected. So giving the installer the benefit of the doubt, get it sorted on Monday, pay them retaining 5% for a month.

Why not post up more photos before employing the services of another installer to sort out the gas system & power flush your C/heating system etc.

Probably of little interest but I'm finding this really hard to deal with. I have issues with communication and while this is something I came to terms with years ago and don't have the same anxieties (I can usually communicate easily and confidently under normal circumstances), stress really messes with the part of my brain that deals with communication and it becomes hard to formulate a coherent sentence verbally... So no I haven't informed the installer yet. Besides the fact that I was unsure whether I should continue using them.

The consensus seems to be to continue until the job is properly done and dusted, so I guess I will inform them and go from there.

I am still concerned that if there are other mistakes some other disaster could be looming but it doesn't look like I have much choice now.

Angry at myself for not getting recommendations for this kind of work...

I understand your difficulty OP, but remember that is not the fault of the installer.

He too might have issues (dyslexia and other similar issues) address common in tradesmen assuming too that he is a native English speaker (note I don't use the term foreigner as I have hit the age where I struggle to understand the yoof).

So, you are more than justified to have your concerns, but you are now also armed with some practical knowledge of what needs to be done.

Don't assume the worst. There are more figure customers out there than there are rogue tradesmen.

Also, when the gas work notification is sent, you can request a free inspection from gas safe.

When he finishes the job, ask him when the certificate will arrive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back