Boiler quote pricing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted to ask a question about boiler pricing as part of a quote. I don't want to mention where I am or which boiler as this would probably identify who the quote was from. I'm not interested in whinging about plumber X wants to charge me Y for a boiler... but I have a question...

Is it common practice to charge over RRP for a boiler when part of a quote for an install, for example charging £3k for a boiler which I could source myself for (an already not inconsiderable ) £2k. It's as though I'm paying £1k for the extended warranty.

Like I say, this is not intended as a whinge, more a question if this is normal.

Sponsored Links
Most RGI’s would quote like that. The important figure is the total taking into account what is included .

Get another quote

Is that just for the boiler, or boiler plus flue and other accessories? Either way, yes there's normally a markup on what is supplied (I add 20%) as it covers things like initial warranty callouts

I wanted to ask a question about boiler pricing as part of a quote. I don't want to mention where I am or which boiler as this would probably identify who the quote was from. I'm not interested in whinging about plumber X wants to charge me Y for a boiler... but I have a question...

Is it common practice to charge over RRP for a boiler when part of a quote for an install, for example charging £3k for a boiler which I could source myself for (an already not inconsiderable ) £2k. It's as though I'm paying £1k for the extended warranty.

Like I say, this is not intended as a whinge, more a question if this is normal.

If I am supplying the boiler, I mark up the price I pay. Labour is additional obviously plus what materials I use at marked up price
If you are supplying the boiler, I am not bothered but I would only be doing rest of the work and if boiler is faulty or components missing then I will be charging for extra time taken plus you will need to deal with boiler issues ie getting the right parts, returns resupply etc

Sponsored Links
Sometimes, tight customers might want to supply their own parts for cars. Sometimes new, sometimes secondhand. In that case, if I fancied doing the job, I'd charge a little more to cover my loss on the parts and charge them labour only but tell them that any warranty work or problems will be down to them.

Have you obtained any quotes for install only? How do they compare with the 'all in' price?

Where do you get your RRP? Are you sure you are comparing like for like? Many merchant prices are headline and do not include flues etc., and you would need to include your delivery costs and so, plus your own resolution of damage or short supply issues.

Would never dream of attempting to hide my labour price by inflating component prices if i want to make £££ then that what i price at i dont pretend im making ££ and sticking ££ on parts prices . in todays world of everything being visible on internet i dont see the point .

Can consumers source the boiler themselves? Would have thought you’d need to provide gas safe details? I take it there’s a breakdown of costs to state that they’re charging more for the boiler?

Can consumers source the boiler themselves? Would have thought you’d need to provide gas safe details? I take it there’s a breakdown of costs to state that they’re charging more for the boiler?
sadly not at all mate, anyone can buy most boilers from any merchants and at the same rate we pay, a few that wont are ATAG, and not sure if still the same but B&Q at one time would sell Worcesters but only to trade account holders with gas safe, but you could buy other brands straight off the shelf, totall farce I know, but sadly that is the real world

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

Quite common for enduser to source the boiler. When the trade counter is getting money, idea of asking for a Gas Safe number is out the window

"Is that just for the boiler, or boiler plus flue and other accessories?"

I don't have the full quote anymore as declined it, but even adding a flue its still well under £1k below what the quote had itemised as the boiler. The quote wouldn't have included any timer or controller as I would be reusing an already installed Tado system.

"Where do you get your RRP? Are you sure you are comparing like for like?"

Plumbnation (1st google result) and its like for like as I specified which boiler I was interested in.

"Would never dream of attempting to hide my labour price by inflating component prices if i want to make £££ then that what i price at i dont pretend im making ££ and sticking ££ on parts prices . in todays world of everything being visible on internet i dont see the point."

Agreed. If the quote had been presented like this I wouldn't have even considered questioning it

"Sometimes, tight customers might want to supply their own parts for cars."

I don't consider questioning the boiler RRP being more than £1k over a plumbers merchants being "tight"

"Either way, yes there's normally a markup on what is supplied (I add 20%) as it covers things like initial warranty callouts"

Now I'm probably about to upset a bunch of people, but heyho - Perhaps it's different with boilers, but if I bought a TV for example with a 1year warranty and I needed to use it, it wouldn't cost me anymore for the repair work, additionally if I paid for an extended warranty I still wouldn't have to pay any extra (other than the initial cost of the extended warranty of course). If the big selling point of some of the premium boilers is the length of the warranties, but only if fitted by an approved installer and the installer charges 50% more for the boiler in the first place, this doesn't seem like good value to me.

Now, for the time being, most of this is moot as I am probably going to get my mains upgraded first anyway, on the recommendation of the chap who came out to do the survey for the quote, he was super helpful and we had a good chat about the options available, I was just a little disappointed about the markup on the boiler itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back