Boiler / radiator problems!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I think i have knackered my boiler / radiators and could do with some help!

The boiler is a Gloworm ultimate - i do not know the model number as i can't see anything written on the boiler and the last occupants haven't left us any manuals! The bottom tray slides out for the controls, i can't see a pressure gauge anywhere either (if the problem is there is no pressure to the system, i don't know how to top it back up)

One of the upstairs radiators wasn't heating fully, so i bled that radiator, all that came out was air, even when the air was out, no water followed. I wasn't sure if this was right, but i tightened up the valve and went to try the radiators.

None of the radiators are heating and the boiler cut out switch popped on.

And that is where we at now......

What have i done wrong?! And how can i put it right?! lol!

EDITED to add - the boiler has a it has a 60 written on it

Sponsored Links
looks like the system isnt refilling with water to replace the air you have taken out.

with a pressurized system you need to top it back up.

with a gravity system, it should do it automatically via the feed expansion tank. which are normaly in the loft.

have a look in the loft and check this small tank is about a qtr full.

with a pressuried system, you will need to find the filling loop, which will connect the mains water to the central heating pipework.

It may not be a sealed system boiler, in which case you would not have a pressure gauge.

Go up into the loft and see if you have two tanks, one much smaller than the other. It's the smaller one, called the Feed and Expansion tank, you are interested in as that keeps the boiler and rads topped up.

Check the level in the tank, it should be under half full.

Drain some water from the system using the drain tap which will be on one of the ground floor rad while someone checks that the level in the small tank goes down and the ball valve opens to refill the tank. If that does not happen, there is a blockage in the pipe from the F&E tank down to the system.

Sponsored Links
it's strange that all i did was bleed the one radiator (everything was working fine before this) and now none of the rads work and the boiler is cutting out.

as been said, you need to check the expansion tank is feeding the system with water.

its poss when you bled the rads, you could of created the blockage in the feed pipe work due to slugde.

which is prob where your air is coming from.

Drain some water from the system using the drain tap which will be on one of the ground floor rad

Sorry, i don't know what this looks like! Alls the rads are the same (i think).

OP.

From your post, it appears that you don't understand your system. I think you need to call in a plumber (get a recommendation from friend/neighbour/colleague) to sort out what sounds like a poss blocked cold feed.

This usually involves cutting and soldering new pipework.

It's not a very expensive job, but if you are unsure of what you are doing, you could cause more damage.

Sorry if this post sounds like Agile!

Drain some water from the system using the drain tap which will be on one of the ground floor rad

OK, i googled "drain tap" and none of the rads have this on. They are Danfoss radiators.

As for post above - i am with EON heating plan. I'll give them a call in the morning if i can't sort it tonight.

Thanks for all the replies.

OK, i googled "drain tap" and i none of the rads have this on. They are Danfoss radiators.

it may not be on a rad, it may be on the pipework.

12441659178931.jpg

Forgot to mention. :oops:

Do you have any valves like either of the pics below (normally near the HW cylinder)? If so, move the lever at the end along the slot to the MAN position and lock it in place (may be a notch or you pull out/push in to lock it). Do this when checking the F&E tanks pipe is not blocked and when bleeding the rads, which must be done when the water is cold.

Here are the pics!

View media item 5946 View media item 11762

there is what looks like a drain tap in the airing cupboard. It looks like it comes off the immersion tank; all other pipework is hidden.

(the boiler powers the central heating and the immersion tank powers our hot water; not a combi system).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back