Boiler Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all.

I currently have a Potterton performa 28i, which has a couple of problems, most notably their is no hot water delivered to the taps (I believe this is a problem with the valve, as opposed to the switch, though I'm not 100% certain), and the device that's filled with air to help regulate the pressure is broken and currently full of water.

I had signed up with British gas home care, on the miss-understanding that they would fix all of the problems with the boiler (I signed up to the years option at 30 a month), however once I was told that each additional problem was an additional fee, I decided I'm fed up enough to just be done with it and upgrade/replace.

My current desires on the replacement are as follows, but if I'm missing some thing please enlighten me :)

1) Easy to repair, I've been told that the Potterton, though not exactly a bad boiler, when it comes to repair work, it can be quite cumbersome and as such bumps the labour charges quite a bit.
2) Big enough for the house (I'll get to that in a bit).
3) Reliable
4) Parts are not extortionately expensive.

I'm not sure if all of the above is reasonable, however I thought it would be a good starting point :)

I've been told that the manufacture Valiant is a reasonable boiler that fits at least 1 and 3.

It is a 3 bedroom split level council house, on the top edge, so I have a roof and three outside walls. rough bedroom sizes are 3m*4m, 3m*2m and 1.8m*1.8m. The down stairs covers roughly the same area (including kitchen and bathroom. The house has single glazing and wooden floors (or will have once we've finished!)

The current boiler is 29.4Kw, I believe this was reasonable, as when every thing was working, the hot water for the shower was hot, and the radiators hot (till I mucked up the balancing that is, I learn some thing new all the time).

I was looking at one of these two boilers,
Vaillant ecoTEC Pro 28 or Vaillant Combi Gas Boiler 831 EcoTEC

However, I'd like to know the experts opinions on these boilers.

If i've left any important information out, I appologise in advance, I'm far from an expert, so let me know and I'll ferret it out :)

Sponsored Links
To repeat!

Your current boiler is fairly reliable and totally repairable.

If you call them to an EXISTING fault then thats correct it only covers the FIRST fault but in practice they would usually deal with minor problems like a PRV etc.

Major problems might not be covered!

Is yours an Instant? Their EXVs do fail every two or three years!

Tony

I thought BG repaired all boiler faults for about £200 a year.

Your current boiler is fairly reliable and totally repairable.

Apart from a diverter valve and a DHW every three years they give little problem if installed on a clean system.

For dealing with BOTH those problems on one visit we would only charge £136 in our local area!

Tony

That was my understanding, however even though I had payed essentially £350 for the yearly contract, they still wanted to charge additional for the two problems, and to be honest, I'm pretty fed up with the whole thing.

Which is why I'm looking to just do a clean install with a new boiler, even if not strictly required.

Forget the Ecotec Pro. The plus is the one to go for.

Agree with Tony, for £300/month all repairs should be FOC :confused:

Sponsored Links
Forget the Ecotec Pro. The plus is the one to go for.

Other than the valiants, would any one make a recommendation of another boiler? I'm kinda flying blind here :(

Agree with Tony, for £300/month all repairs should be FOC :confused:

To say that I was some what annoyed is an understatement.

I thought I had been offered to options,
1) £200 to cover the first fault and then additional for any other faults found (most expensive covered).
2) £30 a month for a year (£360), to cover all the problems (admittedly I did wonder...).

Turns out, again only the first issue is covered, all other issues are additional. I think this is only for existing problems, if new problems occur then they will do it free of charge.

But any way, must stop ranting :)

call them to the expansion vessel. then call them out the next day to the diverter(diaphram) problem.or change the diaphram yourself(dead easy) and call them out to the ex vessel.

call them to the expansion vessel. then call them out the next day to the diverter(diaphram) problem.or change the diaphram yourself(dead easy) and call them out to the ex vessel.

Thought of that one :)

Unfortunately, they do a full audit on the first visit,and require all bits to be fixed, so I can't quite do that :(

you were sold a 3fxp contract by the sounds of it. it will cover one reported fault and any subsequent faults after the intial assessment visit as long as they are within the terms and conditions as per a standard 3st contract.

what was the price they gave you for fixing all of the current faults?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back