Boiler suspected not fitted by corgi/gas-safe -options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into my house just over 12 months ago.
In 2010, the previous owners had some modernisation done - including installation of a new combi boiler.
Now been in over 12 months and the system seems to work fine. I found the booklet for the boiler and the benchmark section is blank.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing....

What are my options from here? Is it possible to pay for a gas-safe engineer to do some sort of inspection to verify it's ok? Bit like and electrical inspection? Etc

This is now causing me some anxiety how to rectify the situation. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Get an RGI to check it for soundness and safety, you can check with gas safe if the boiler has been signed off, if not contact buiding regs to inspect and sign off.
A fee will be charged and alterations may be neccessary if fitter has not installed to building regs.

Get an RGI to check it for soundness and safety, you can check with gas safe if the boiler has been signed off, if not contact buiding regs to inspect and sign off.
A fee will be charged and alterations may be neccessary if fitter has not installed to building regs.

Thanks, have contacted gas-safe this eve, fingers crossed!

This is a serious situation if the boiler was not notified to Building Control.

Ideally something your solicitors should have picked up.

My view is that your solicitors were remiss not to have noticed that and in recompense should ( free ) try to claim something from the vendors.

Legally that could be rather too late without a complicated and expensive court case. But the vendors will not know that and might offer something.

An RGI could reinstall the boiler and deal with all the paperwork.

Ideally you should ask them for the name and address of the installers ( so you can report them ). Such as on a receipt.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the feedback.

I asked at the time for the paperwork on the boiler and vendor said they would follow up. I think it was done with a builder who used their own person for the boiler. I was later told that they checked but the 'boiler fitter had been in a motorcycle accident and was no longer alive', so they hadn't followed any more.
With hindsight here I'm feeling a muppet for not pushing further, but my circumstances at the time were not good and I couldn't risk the house falling through and it was a good price, needed some work etc.

I've emailed gas-safe tonight to ask if they can check from my address and that the work was done 2010. I'll see if anything was registered.
Finding the blank benchmark was a shock.

On the declaration the vendor signed, they declared boiler replaced 2010 and 'not known' against paperwork. Declared it was in good working order (and it hasn't broken down so far), so I guess legally not told an untruth. Onus probably was on me here to push.
I do have a plugin CO detector in that room, always have had one.

I do still have contact numbers for the vendor. I don't think they were savvy at selecting tradesmen, rather than dishonest.
I suspect at over 12 months they won't want to know and I don't want to incur expense of legal route. They might supply the name of the builder that they used.

If an RGI looked at a reinstall, is the ballpark on this as much as the labour would be for a full install anyway (maybe less the cost of the boiler)?
I guess I can get some quotes to find out, wanted to see what my options are so I can ask the right question.

A boiler is a notifiable appliance. There are fines for not notifying to Building Control.

Reinstalling only involves removing boiler from wall, checking mounting and refitting and commissioning. Should take about 3-5 hours.

If I was asked to do that then I quote about £180 to reinstall and notify.

Gas Safe consider a non commissioned boiler as At Risk which should not be used!

Tony

Reinstalling only involves removing boiler from wall, checking mounting and refitting and commissioning. Should take about 3-5 hours.
If I was asked to do that then I quote about £180 to reinstall and notify.

Have checked with Gas-Safe this morning via email. It was not notified - I wasn't really surprised.

What you suggest would be acceptable. I shall look into it and get some quotes.
I think I would prefer this rather than getting LABC involved directly.

I'd get Agile up to do it for the £180 quid, presumably his quote would include the travel :p

That price is only in local area of London and the Midlands.

Others would charge more or less or the same!

You would be better to call a few locally. Some don't want to even do it although if its done in accordance with the regulations there is no problem as it becomes a new installation.

Tony

That price is only in local area of London and the Midlands.

Others would charge more or less or the same!

You would be better to call a few locally. Some don't want to even do it although if its done in accordance with the regulations there is no problem as it becomes a new installation.

Tony

No problems - gives me the ball park I was after and will make some local enquiries as advised.

Spoke with the vendor today.
She was surprised that the boiler install hadn't been registered. Said the builder had done alterations to some of bedrooms and he got a plumber in to do the boiler. She remembered his van outside and said it had the gassafe logo on it.
I have got the number of the builder this evening, and will phone tomorrow.

If the builder tells me it's not his problem is this a fob off? I'm guessing it's the plumber who would do the registration, but I assume builder was paid by the customer, who subcontracted the plumbing out. Is builder still ultimately responsible? I'm interested in views on this before I call.

If the builder tells me it's not his problem is this a fob off? I'm guessing it's the plumber who would do the registration, but I assume builder was paid by the customer, who subcontracted the plumbing out. Is builder still ultimately responsible? I'm interested in views on this before I call.

Depends on who paid who.

If the customer paid the builder - it was the builder's responsibility to get it from the plumber.

If the customer paid the plumber then it is straight to him.

Your solicitor should be doing all this. He/she should have flagged the missing documents; and when he/she got bored waiting for the plumber, offered you an indemnity policy to cover you for any problems RE building regs.

He/she will probably have told you that the policy costs hundreds of pounds, when in fact it is more likely to be less than £100.

And people moan about plumber's over charging ;).

Depends on who paid who.

If the customer paid the builder - it was the builder's responsibility to get it from the plumber.

If the customer paid the plumber then it is straight to him.

I can find out who the vendor paid, might be useful to know.

Your solicitor should be doing all this. He/she should have flagged the missing documents; and when he/she got bored waiting for the plumber, offered you an indemnity policy to cover you for any problems RE building regs.

He/she will probably have told you that the policy costs hundreds of pounds, when in fact it is more likely to be less than £100.

And people moan about plumber's over charging ;).

Looked back at some of the paperwork from the purchase.
Solicitor report states that a lack of evidence is there for building reg approval for the central heating boiler (amongst a couple of other things) and recommends an indemnity.
There was one purchased - vendors paid for it. You're right - £70.

Guess I need to make a phone call to the solicitor tomorrow.
Anyone ever claimed on one of these things? Do they pay anything to sort things like this?

The policy is there to cover defects. Ask the solicitor if it covers the cost of an inspection, although you could ask Gas Safe to come and check it for you.

The policy should then cover the costs of rectification.

I stress though - this is my understanding of the system. If they can trace the original installer it might well be forced upon him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back