Boiler suspected not fitted by corgi/gas-safe -options?

The indemnity covers you against the risk of the local authority taking enforcement action against you, as the current owner of the property, as a result of a breach of the building regulations.

It doesn't pay for correcting defects in the actual work carried out.

Sponsored Links
The policy is there to cover defects. Ask the solicitor if it covers the cost of an inspection, although you could ask Gas Safe to come and check it for you.

The policy should then cover the costs of rectification.

Fingers crossed!

I stress though - this is my understanding of the system. If they can trace the original installer it might well be forced upon him.

I was told the original installer had been killed in a motor bike accident since the work had been done.

That's a very good excuse and will put off a lot of people.

But you need a name and copy of the death certificate!

Someone died and two more seriously injured when a private minibus rolled over.

The driver was alleged to have dies too ( to avoid claims ) but in fact although injured he survived!

Tony

One of the conditions of the indemnity will be that the local council knows nothing about the issue, so make sure you don't tell them!

Sponsored Links
Looked back at some of the paperwork from the purchase.
Solicitor report states that a lack of evidence is there for building reg approval for the central heating boiler (amongst a couple of other things) and recommends an indemnity.
There was one purchased - vendors paid for it. You're right - £70.

Guess I need to make a phone call to the solicitor tomorrow.
Anyone ever claimed on one of these things? Do they pay anything to sort things like this?

Normally the builder would hold the ultimate responsibility. Problem there is that you don't have a contract with the builder which may limit your ability to make any claim on him.

The insurance was taken by the vendor and not you! So the vendor would need to make any claim UNLESS it was transferrable to you and you now have it.

You would need to read the policy but for £70 they are not going to pay £180 to reinstall the boiler.

I suspect the policy is only to cover fines imposed by the local authority!

I am impressed by your solicitor having noticed the lack of registration of the boiler. Most don't!

Tony

Normally the builder would hold the ultimate responsibility. Problem there is that you don't have a contract with the builder which may limit your ability to make any claim on him.

Vendor told me today that she paid the builder for all and he sorted it.
I take your point that the arrangement wasn't with me - though she is very supportive it was something that should have been sorted and she offered to call him herself.
It may depend how much local work he does. There's always a chance I guess that it was just an oversight on the part of the plumber, but it didn't get chased up as the vendors didn't hassle.

The insurance was taken by the vendor and not you! So the vendor would need to make any claim UNLESS it was transferrable to you and you now have it.

You would need to read the policy but for £70 they are not going to pay £180 to reinstall the boiler.

I suspect the policy is only to cover fines imposed by the local authority!

I am impressed by your solicitor having noticed the lack of registration of the boiler. Most don't!

It was transferred over to me.
I suspect the point you and denso make is correct though and it would only cover me against fines from the Local Authority.
I've left a message with the solicitors earlier and they'll call me back. I suspect they will tell me the same. This is probably a dead end.

Yes, solicitor was ok. Re-reading the report, they picked up on lack of paperwork regarding the electrics too. I got a PIR done before I moved in and it all checked out ok. Not perfect, but good enough and nothing dangerous. This may have been why I was more relaxed about the boiler!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back