Boiler to outhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are thinking of taking gas to our outbuilding, whats the best pipe to use and what size?

We intend to use it primarily for a combi boiler and have been advised the best thing would be to run a sperate line going back to tbe gas meter of the house instead of connecting to existing gas supply coming into the house.

Sponsored Links
If you connect to the supply going into the house, wouldn’t that bypass the meter or require another meter?

If you connect to the supply going into the house, wouldn’t that bypass the meter or require another meter?

We dont really need a seperate meter for billing purposes if thats what your asking?

Just want to be able to take a gas line to back with out causing any problems for the existing appliances in the house.

If we can safely extend off the existing gas supply in the house then cool, if not then we'd have to install a new separate run from the meter in the front garden through and under the floor boards of house...under the patio and turf into the outbuilding....

Who advised you?

Installation pipework has to be calculated and properly sized according to the gas appliances that it will supply, this also allows for lengths of runs and fittings.

Sponsored Links
Who advised you?

Installation pipework has to be calculated and properly sized according to the gas appliances that it will supply, this also allows for lengths of runs and fittings.

So the length from the meter to the outbuilding is 35 to 40 meters.

From the existing gas supply coming into to house the distance is 12 meters to outbuilding.
The current pipe size is 22mm.

Look up gas pipe sizing.
It's a little more complex than what you've declared above.

Look up gas pipe sizing.
It's a little more complex than what you've declared above.

Whats so complex about it? For me yes but someone who knows it should be fairly straightforward?

Need gas going to outbuilding and main use is for combi boiler, heating hot water.

Need to know the total load (kW input) of all appliances currently connected to the meter, and the power of your proposed new combi boiler. You'll very likely need to upgrade to 28mm or possibly even 35mm coming off the meter. If you've got a high existing load you may also need to upgrade to a larger U16 gas meter, and depending on current pipe sizing you might even need the incoming supply upgrading from the road (although that would be unusual).

It can all be calculated, but not with the information you've provided so far

Need to know the total load (kW input) of all appliances currently connected to the meter, and the power of your proposed new combi boiler. You'll very likely need to upgrade to 28mm or possibly even 35mm coming off the meter. If you've got a high existing load you may also need to upgrade to a larger U16 gas meter, and depending on current pipe sizing you might even need the incoming supply upgrading from the road (although that would be unusual).

It can all be calculated, but not with the information you've provided so far

Thanks,

What information would you need?

If you can please let me know I'll get it

someone who knows it should be fairly straightforward?

It will be.
Hence my question "who advised you?".
It will be the responsibility of the installer.

The advice of a new supply direct from the meter is likely to be due to your current pipework being undersized and hidden.

You said it's 22mm throughout and a considerable section of this would need replacing with 28 or 35, which would mean disruptive works to access and replace.

Without seeing the site conditions, I suspect you are being advised to have a new run to minimise disruption and so that the entire length of the supply will be a known quantity, in case there are hidden surprises (such as smaller pipework then being increased to a larger bore, where it can't be seen).

Thanks,

What information would you need?

If you can please let me know I'll get it
I'll need the information listed in my post - total current load on the system, and power of proposed new combi boiler. Dilalio's post above would also need consideration, but this would at least be a start

Thanks guy,

Really appreciate your help

We currently have a 36cdi boiler with about 22 radiators

Hot water to Three bathroom one kitchen

and one five burner double oven gas cooker,

The pipe we have coming into the house is either 22 or 28mm but im not 100% sure at the moment but will double check.

Does this help?

Sort of. Don't care about radiators or bathrooms but do need the total gas input power of your cooker. You've also not said what size combi you're thinking of for the outbuilding

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back