bolt removal

the nut is now off,
im looking at the socket type removers[posted above] ,
our local factors had some but they only had an allen key to turn them, not man enough i thought,

im trying to avoid drilling out if poss due to it being s/s,
but if i have to i will i have already done a steel stud that broke.....

im orf to the tinternet.....
:D

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
You probably haven't got enough left sticking out to use any kind of extractor. I take it the nut you welded on just broke off when you tried to turn it? What about welding a length of bar an inch or two long onto the remaining stud? Thyat way you'll get some purchase on it nad given the heat, it shout come.

i dont really have the kit to weld s/s..only my mig..it would be tricky to get a weld all around the stud so it may well not work to well,i think it would just twist off.
it doesnt really help that its still on the bike... :cry:
but there is a fair bit of kit to remove to get the head off.. :evil:

Sponsored Links
You were never going to get a strong enough weld using a nut of the same size as the stud, it was always going to just break away, should have gone for a bigger nut, that would have given you a gap and something to weld to. You might be better taking it to someone who does have the gear to do the job, a proper blacksmith or welder perhaps?

I've got one on front of me. What you can't see in the picture is the 17mm bolt holding it together. It's head is 8mm proud of the tool. They're ok for long studs that it can get a grip of. But, he only has 7-9mm left to grip.

Make up a steel plate about half inch thick and rectangular, with two holes spaced the exact distance apart as the two stud holes.
One hole clearance size for the plate to be bolted on to the port, the other hole drilled as tapping size for broken stud, use this plate as a drilling guide.
Use plenty of lubricant Rocol RDT and keep the drilling pressure up, without stopping drill through broken stud.

Wotan

I've got one on front of me. What you can't see in the picture is the 17mm bolt holding it together. It's head is 8mm proud of the tool. They're ok for long studs that it can get a grip of. But, he only has 7-9mm left to grip.
the one i use will fit flus to a surface so it will grip on the full 8mm

This thing must be crazily tight.....I'm wondering if the nut that was welded on was stainless, and the mig wire stainless too?
I've had success in the past by brazing a nut on, using a No.2 nozzle and a BOC Portapak.
Good luck with it, bandit.
John :)

thanks for your time on this one guys, ;)

that big extractor is a great bit of kit,ive seen one but no use for a short stud...grrr
it would not really fit properly in the space available either,looks the dogs though,
i only welded a steel nut to the stud,[with mig wire]in a vain attempt to heat it and then remove it,i didnt expect it to work too well,

the drilling jig seems a good idea ....:cool:

im gonna order a set of the bolt removers,as they will be use full in years to come.if they fit the stud its a bonus... :LOL:

may talk to a welder next re properly fixing a larger nut to the bastid.... :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back