Bonded ceramic floor tile cracking, sounds hollow

No, they’re just chalk marks that are on the back of the tiles. I’ve still got one of the original unused tiles and that has the chalk marks on too
If you can see the white on new tiles if means they did not butter the back of the tile leading to weak bond.

Sponsored Links
If you can see the white on new tiles if means they did not butter the back of the tile leading to weak bond.

Hi Foxhole. This is what I'm thinking too.

I've contacted the company. They said the tiling was subcontracted but obviously we paid the full amount to the orangery company. The attached contract is all we have. It refers to conservatory base 10 years but doesn't specifically mention tiling anywhere so they say we're not covered? Would that be your understanding too? Thanks.

Screenshot 2021-01-04 at 11.33.45.png

Get a mate to email them (or create a new hotmail) and ask them various questions about a new conservatory. Include something like having different flooring.
Who chose the tiles and supplied them? Just in case you bought them - they could say that they weren't suitable.

As I see it??

The "Main Contractor" who has provided and erected the structure is liable for the tiles. provided there "Approved Contractor" fitted them?

As an aside, the "Main Contractor" has and is offering cover for [say] the glass, the glass was not made by the main Contractor, likewise Guarantees are offered for the main structure.

Yes there are "disclaimers" for the slab, fine, but as above if the Main Contractors "Approved installer" then the tiles should be covered by the same spirit of a guarantee being an integral part of the slab as provided by the Main Contractor?

Ken.

Sponsored Links
Hi chaps.

Really appreciate the comments on here - it has been a big help! Def no joy with getting anyone out but I've started to lift up some tiles just by removing the grout. Years back when installed, they were supposed to move a manhole as part of build but in the end said it wasn't possible and covered it instead.

Where the manhole is located, the cement looks a copperish colour and there are cracks which run even deeper than the concrete slab (I imagine if I kept pulling chunks up I would reach the manhole ...?

Could this also be the reason the tiles have unbonded? And whether it is or isn't - should this now become part of the guarantee because anything that affects the actual concrete slab is classed as a problem with the base?

Hope that makes sense!

Attachments

• IMG_5099.JPG
    IMG_5099.JPG
    362.5 KB · Views: 111
Wouldn't they normally fit a sealed manhole? Is it possible that the seal was damaged- leading to a small flood under the tiles? Or they used an unsealed manhole?

Wouldn't they normally fit a sealed manhole? Is it possible that the seal was damaged- leading to a small flood under the tiles? Or they used an unsealed manhole?

Quite possibly. It looks as though the concrete would pretty much crumble away above where the manhole is but if I can get them out to check that part I don't want to mess around with it too much in case they try sating I've caused it ...

I think tomorrow I'll get all the tiles lifted and hopefully that will shed more light. So if sealed, should it just be a set bed of concrete on top (same height as the rest of the floor?) What happens if unsealed? Concrete just poured over manhole cover??

As a consideration? does the firm know you are lifting the tiles?

Have they visited to undertake an inspection?

As a consideration? does the firm know you are lifting the tiles?

Have they visited to undertake an inspection?

Yes I’ve told them. After they stated the tiles or installation of tiles was no longer covered I don’t think they’d be able to ask why they were lifted ...

Did this firm accept money from you and instruct their preferred Sub-Contractor to fit the tiles??

If so the erection firm are 100% responsible for the work of their Sub Contractor "Approved Installer"

Yes it was all included in the contract - the only thing that was direct payment was piling.

Did the erection firm ask you to use this tiling firm? because the erection firm had used them historically?

This is important because it is the association and contract [even a verbal contract] between you, the erection firm and the tiler.

It that specific tiler was "recommended" then there is a link that can imply that the erection firm. who do not carry tilers as a trade tender the services of the sub-contract tiler, so in effect the recommended tiler becomes an "Approved installer" of parts that the erection firm cannot undertake

Hope you see where I am going with this, a firm link between the tiler and the slab by way of the Approved Installer, hence the tiles become an integral part of the slab for guarantee purposes.

We had no comms with the tiler at all. We simply chose the options for the build at point of sale and it was all included in the price save for the piling. We had no choices presented to us for the contractors

As far as I can see, you are on to a winner here.

In the post you made it clearly states that the guarantee covers "faulty workmanship and faulty materials " as regards the "Base"

It is clear that the "Main Contractor" has used his "Approved Installers" to lay your tiles.

Given you did not appoint the tiler, the "Main Contractor" did that in turn means ALL aspects of this "Slab" must include the tiling and it follows that there is a 10 year Guarantee for the Piles, Slab, Manholes, and Tiling.

If the contractor continues to deny responsibility then get on to Social media and blast them on Face book + Twitter Etc, but warn him of your intentions IF?? he prevaricates.

I’ve managed to get all tiles up. 36/44 had no cement on the back and came up whole.

They still say tiles & installation are not covered but they are sending someone out to check the base layer / concrete slab as there are some small holes present. Some are above where the manhole is/was - and some in the corner of the room (one is an inch wide and 5inches deep ...).

As the base is under guarantee, should I be able to request that they make the concrete slab whole again or do you expect holes to appear over time?

Also, is it reasonable to suggest that the holes could be the reason for air/moisture causing the tiles to debond over Christmas in which case I should be able to claim replacing the tiles/installation as well??

Or is that quite a stretch?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• E6878C0A-0F29-4AEB-961D-B907EC233F98.jpeg
    E6878C0A-0F29-4AEB-961D-B907EC233F98.jpeg
    624.3 KB · Views: 121

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back