Bonded ceramic floor tile cracking, sounds hollow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have an orangery 9 years old which is on pile foundations with suspended slab.

we have porcelain tiles bedded to the concrete which have been in place since the build.

Yesterday we heard a few loud and unusual crack sounds coming from the floor (when we weren’t in the room). Temp was extremely cold outside.

Now when I tap anywhere on the tiles they sound completely hollow (almost like knocking on wood). I’m also paranoid about walking on the floor now as I’m convinced it’s creaking ...

can anyone suggest what this could be? Is it likely with the temp the tiles after 9 years could have all just unbedded or could the concrete have actually given way?

Should we try to get access to a tile and lift it or do we need a pro to check this out? There are some quite expensive computers in the room as it’s a home office so also worried about getting those out without damage.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not a builder/engineer
Surely if it's a slab on piles, there isn't a massive hole that you're going to plunge into?
Also I presume that a slab as you describe would have has reinforcing mesh added? I don't think a concrete slab could creak?

Isn't it more likely that the tile cement has failed?

Is there a openable door / doors that historically have been left open to allow rain water to pond on the tiles ?

If so the action of rain may have affected the tile adhesive?

Ken

No, nothing has gotten indoors ... may well be tile adhesive but I would never imagined the loudness of multiple ‘cracks’ would be that. When I walk on the tiles now they creak - almost like a large piece of ice that is about to give way ....

Sponsored Links
I’ve partially lifted one tile. The back of the tile appears smooth - no cement attached.

The concrete floor appears in tact and still has ridged cement lines stuck to it ...

Does this mean the tiles were never properly installed? Is it worth calling the people who installed the orangery as it’s under a 10 year warranty - although maybe the tiles aren’t ...

And is there any way tiles can be rebounded without having to lift them or is that a stupid question?!

Thanks!

Post in the flooring forum. There are tilers there.

Bonded ceramic floor tiles should be part of any warranty.

We had an orangery built 8 years ago (still under 10 year warranty but the company have poor reviews with dealing with problems ...)

Our ceramic floor tiles have always been rock solid, but Christmas Day we heard loud popping/cracking sounds.

Visually the tiles look the same as does the grout, but the floor creaks when walking on it and every tile sounds hollow.

We’ve tried to lift part of a tile. The ground underneath sounds solid and you can see where the original cement ridges are.

The bottom parts of the tile pieces are effectively clean. No cement / residue or anything. They could be new!

Is it likely the entire floor has debonded? Can this be easily rectified? Should this be under guarantee?

To make matters worse we are due to have a replacement roof installed in 2 weeks. Can this now go ahead?

Thanks for any replies.

Attachments

• 156C0547-1221-4AD7-B6EA-8BC64CBF8473.jpeg
    156C0547-1221-4AD7-B6EA-8BC64CBF8473.jpeg
    400.1 KB · Views: 216
  • 076A922C-D9EE-4229-8A27-9B7A46D8F3C4.jpeg
    076A922C-D9EE-4229-8A27-9B7A46D8F3C4.jpeg
    317.9 KB · Views: 220
First port of call is the Guarantee.

Looks as if the grout used was in some way wrong? possibly too hard ? or wrong type of grout? or? tiles have simply not been layed correctly it is not uncommon to find small areas of the rear of a previously laid tile to have little adhesive adhering.

Ken.

I’ve managed to lift up a complete tile - once the surrounding grout was removed the tile lifted straight up!

This is what the ground looks like underneath (with nothing stuck to the back of the tile).

does this shed any light on the problem or the installation?

thanks

Attachments

• 583F673E-C800-4597-B806-E354F55EE641.jpeg
    583F673E-C800-4597-B806-E354F55EE641.jpeg
    307.3 KB · Views: 233
That tile looks to have been loose and secured again with silicon, floor probably bodged, may have used wrong tile cement or room has flooded in past breaking the bond.

That tile looks to have been loose and secured again with silicon, floor probably bodged, may have used wrong tile cement or room has flooded in past breaking the bond.

It’s never been touched since installation 8 years ago but the hollow-sounding issue + cracking & popping sound across all tiles has only just started

So is that shiny stuff silicon ?

No, they’re just chalk marks that are on the back of the tiles. I’ve still got one of the original unused tiles and that has the chalk marks on too

Concrete expands and contracts with temperature. Over 40 degree temperature range thermal expansion/contraction can be ~2mm over 5m. Obviously if the ceramics have a different coefficient thermal expansion something has to give. This is what decoupling membranes are made for. If a large temperature range is expected, it should have been installed using this. https://www.schluter.co.uk/ditra-25.aspx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back