Bonded ceramic floor tile cracking, sounds hollow

If you got them up in one piece, then they were clearly no stuck down properly in the first place. Your reason for taking them all up was "H&S to avoid tripping over the loose tiles".

There is nothing in that guarantee which states that the tiles are excluded. They are part of the base by virtue of them being stuck to it.

In any case, repairs to the base would include removal and renewal the tiles as inclusive work

Sponsored Links
They still say tiles & installation are not covered

In which case this should be written in their Ts & cs - ask them to show you where this is written, otherwise if the tiles were part of the contract and shown on the final invoice, then they should be covered under the base guarantee. I would formally put them on notice that they have one opportunity to repair, and then you will get the work done by others and sue them via moneyclaim online for the cost

In reality and pragmatically prob not worth the hassle.

The reason it failed is because the tiles were not properly bonded to the adhesive - 44 tiles? if they're 300x600s that's only 8 sqm. Personally I'd repair the slab with a bit of cement, clean up any loose bits of the old tile cement and re-lay some new tiles. It's a doable DIY job - and this time back-butter the tiles rather than just lay them dry onto the combed adhesive - it helps to ensure a really good bond - over 8sqm and the old adhesive I wouldn't use a decoupling membrane on that small area unless there is huge temperature fluctuation summer/winter.

:eek:
If you got them up in one piece, then they were clearly no stuck down properly in the first place. Your reason for taking them all up was "H&S to avoid tripping over the loose tiles".

There is nothing in that guarantee which states that the tiles are excluded. They are part of the base by virtue of them being stuck to it.

In any case, repairs to the base would include removal and renewal the tiles as inclusive work

They’ve now been in touch to say the tiles/installation were under a separate 2-year guarantee and that a letter was posted to us concerning this shortly after the original build was complete :unsure:

A letter we’ve never seen, nor signed!

In which case this should be written in their Ts & cs - ask them to show you where this is written, otherwise if the tiles were part of the contract and shown on the final invoice, then they should be covered under the base guarantee. I would formally put them on notice that they have one opportunity to repair, and then you will get the work done by others and sue them via moneyclaim online for the cost

In reality and pragmatically prob not worth the hassle.

The reason it failed is because the tiles were not properly bonded to the adhesive - 44 tiles? if they're 300x600s that's only 8 sqm. Personally I'd repair the slab with a bit of cement, clean up any loose bits of the old tile cement and re-lay some new tiles. It's a doable DIY job - and this time back-butter the tiles rather than just lay them dry onto the combed adhesive - it helps to ensure a really good bond - over 8sqm and the old adhesive I wouldn't use a decoupling membrane on that small area unless there is huge temperature fluctuation summer/winter.

I’ve probably miscalculated somewhere along the line but the floor is 13.5m2.

We’re not wanting tiles down again now - will go for laminate instead but that will obv mean having to remove the cement from the concrete and given none of it stuck to the tiles ...... that’s a lot of work required!

Making a claim is what I feel like doing but we wouldn’t want to spend on the repairs if there wasn’t much chance of getting money back - so it looks like a DIY job.

That being said, they are sending somebody out to look at the base so I guess ‘if’ they agree repairs need to be made then they should also agree that the tiles needed lifting in the first place.

Not sure what’s worse - kids on lockdown or this floor!

Sponsored Links
That's random, 2 years. What else was covered for 2 years? Have you mentioned latent defects to them? :cautious:

That's random, 2 years. What else was covered for 2 years? Have you mentioned latent defects to them? :cautious:

They didn't say but I'll ask for a copy of it. I guess anyone can create a letter after the fact though ... On the contract it does list some specific things that are only guaranteed for 12 months so I guess that'w what they're trying to say re: tiles for 2 years.

I mentioned the 'holes' we've found in the slab mainly above manhole and corner of room and they said they'd send someone to take a look ...

Attachments

• 8B022BE4-B375-4AB5-B59D-6E92F77D6313.jpeg
    8B022BE4-B375-4AB5-B59D-6E92F77D6313.jpeg
    335.5 KB · Views: 76

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back