Border on the Island of Ireland

B

Bodd

Help me understand. In the case of the UK leaving the EU. Who says there is going to be a border set up.?

Whos going enforce this border. I can't make head nor tail of it.

Sponsored Links
Sadly, the Brexers cannot say.

You might remember that one of the Brexer claims was to take control of borders and keep foreigners out. So there must be passport controls and immigration checks with the EU and other foreign countries.

Ireland is part of the EU.

Was the Brexer claim not true?

You might remember that (sometimes) after the referendum, one of the Brexer claims was that we would not be part of the Single Market and would import/export with other countries on different terms. Therefore anything we export/import with the EU is subject to inspection and customs control.

If the tax/duty on, say, diesel or beef is not the same in the EU as it is in the UK, or if the health standards and welfare rules for food animals are different, there is an incentive for smuggling. There are organised armed gangs on the Irish border.

Do you think anyone will try to stop them? What is the Brexer response?

Sadly, the Brexers cannot say.

You might remember that one of the Brexer claims was to take control of borders and keep foreigners out. So there must be passport controls and immigration checks with the EU and other foreign countries.

You might remember that (sometimes) after the referendum, one of the Brexer claims was that we would not be part of the Single Market and would import/export with other countries on different terms. Therefore anything we export/import with the EU is subject to inspection and customs control.

If the tax/duty on, say, diesel or beef is not the same in the EU as it is in the UK, or if the health standards and welfare rules for food animals are different, there is an incentive for smuggling. There are organised armed gangs on the Irish border.

Do you think anyone will try to stop them? What is the Brexer response?

I'm not an official Brexer responder. And I don't know.
The Tories say they won't and some Irish fella on the Andrew Marr show didn't seem to know.

The Tories say they won't

You can safely assume they are not telling the truth. This is not news.

At the moment they are still saying we will leave with no deal on 31st October. No deal means there is no treaty and so no agreement on customs and immigration. This is not news.

So a border will exist. Customs and immigration controls will exist. This is not news.

It is not news, that Brexit is an omnishambles.

I'm not an official Brexer responder.

But you know its a shambles, built on false promises and lies.

Sponsored Links
I don't care ive already planned to go into business buying expensive electronic products taking them back over the border then claiming back the vat and sell them on with vat, ill be a millionaire in a few months then i will live in Monaco and wont care anyway, leaving them 'dumb' quitters and the brexers and the Marxists behind me phew :LOL:... Festid?... Festive?... wake up. Oh no..

The Tories say...

and you believe them? Just look at Kipper man.

https://www.ft.com/content/61cfcbf0-a9ff-11e9-b6ee-3cdf3174eb89

"The candidate’s lack of interest in detail was also exposed, most notably when the BBC’s Andrew Neil established that while Mr Johnson liked quoting paragraph 5b of Article 24 of Gatt to defend his Brexit policy, he had not got as far as paragraph 5c.

The hustings revealed a candidate for whom fact-checking — perhaps the truth — is not a high priority. His riff about an Isle of Man kipper smoker who had been stymied by EU red tape was partly undermined because the Isle of Man is not in the EU, but completely kippered when it turned out the EU does not make rules on the packaging of smoked fish."

"But that claim, a classic Johnson trope about crazed Brussels bureaucrats, distracted from another surprising assertion from a man who could soon hold the official title First Lord of the Treasury: “Whenever corporation tax is cut it yields more money.”

The Institute for Fiscal Studies has costed cuts in corporation tax — the bill runs to billions of pounds — but Mr Johnson did not seem to have asked himself: “If cutting corporation tax raises money, why tax companies at all?”

Help me understand. In the case of the UK leaving the EU. Who says there is going to be a border set up.?

Whos going enforce this border. I can't make head nor tail of it.

It is confusing. I must admit during the referendum campaign and shortly after, the issue of the Irish border seemed to me just the EU using it as an excuse.

You probably cant make head nor tail of it because it cant be done. Any possible physical solutions dont have political approval.

The Island of Ireland is rather unusual because its 1 island with 2 countries that are both members of the EU (IE they comprise 2 members).

I think they both joined the EU at the same time......

If the UK leaves the EU then there must be a border. The EU want a hard border wherever there is a land border with a non EU country -which is fair enough, while we are in the EU we benefit from that protection.

If the UK leave with a deal, that deal makes the UK responsible for the border.

If the UK leave with no deal, which means WTO terms, then the UK has to work with the EU and republic of Ireland to solve the border issue.

Of course the Good Friday agreement says no hard border.....

If you look at Cyprus, half is in the EU and the Northern half is Turkish. There is a hard border between the 2 countries. Its not such big deal as there has always been a hard border there.

So if you are confused its because politicians keep saying there is a solution, when in actual fact there isnt.
Well there is a solution: the backstop.........

However the backstop isnt actually a solution, it just maintains the status quo indefinitely. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The Irish border is like many Brexit conundrums, the only solution is staying in the customs union abd single market, but if we do that we are better staying in the EU as thats the better deal -better than the May deal.

Its annoying isnt it, we cant our cake with cherries :cry:

We know what it going to do to the UK economy and most who voted out say we except this. But the Irish will
loose over 50000 jobs would it now not be right to ask the Irish people if they are prepared to stomach this and a big hit to their economy.

Have you considered the possibility that when the Irish see the benefits of leaving they will resolve the border problem by also leaving the EU ?

Remainers will of course consider this as impossible.

We know what it going to do to the UK economy and most who voted out say we except this

I would say 3 years ago, those that voted out believed the UK would not suffer and would gain long term.

Now Brexiteers are saying, we accept it will damage the economy.

On another forum Im on, a chap has said he has just lost his job as a direct result of Brexit. Hes not happy.......

On another forum Im on, a chap has said he has just lost his job as a direct result of Brexit. Hes not happy.......
Did he vote to leave?

If he did, I believe 'tough s hit' is the required response (y)

Sponsored Links
Back