boring night shift

Sponsored Links
Well it is so entertaining, just reading the comments and banter.
Seriously though, or is that a bad choice of word
[He was claiming he had worked about 50 hours a week, of which a good 15 hours (or more) was spent snoring away.]
I only went on to shift to give me more time in the day, to pursue other things, and I am very busy.
One of our "part time" day workers, you know, large organization must have them? this person, literally spends 40% of the time at the building, in the smoking room. That gets me, 40% of "part time" is a hell of a lot.
Anyway, back to the nights, which, luckily we only do every few weeks. It seems no one else knew about the sofa I found on the top floor, ready for a new office for the governor. All in it's nice wrapping. They don't know that i've undone all the wrap underneath, so you just have to slip the whole thing off it, a very nice "pausing point" during the night.....and no birds in the chimney.
Cheers. ;)

planenut said:
this person, literally spends 40% of the time at the building, in the smoking room.

This is a sore point at my company. The smoking policy has been gradually phased in over 10 years or so, from smoking at your desk, via smoking rooms on every floor, then one per building, now restricted to little bus shelters outside each building.

So, the majority of smokers of 10 years ago have either given up or cut down to the point where a couple at lunch time will do them for the day. It is too much hassle to go and smoke, and it was a good time for them to quit. Those who do still smoke, smoke for the rest I think! I think I know a couple of 40 percenters too!

But i was wondering: the reason they make provisions for smokers is that it is a strong addiction, and if you ban it completely then people will get irritable and angry at everyone, possibly feeling sick. This will adversely affect their work performance and the performance of those they take out their anger on.

Now. If I were dependent on alcohol. What then? Well, if I didn't get my alcohol then I would become irritable and angry. I would feel sick. It would adversely affect my performance. Alcohol is banned from my site, so the nearest drinking location would be a pub a minute's walk away.

You might be thinking "but if you are pi**ed you can't do your job", but there are plenty of alcoholics who appear completely normal and work just like a normal person. You wouldn't know unless you smelled their breath.

Sponsored Links
Yes. My sister is such a person. Drives, works, everything functions.

But pickled to b*ggery...

smoking doesn't blur the senses like drink can and i'd be weary of drinking and then operating machinery, though i agree with the above regarding the anti social behaviour of smokers

planenut said:
this person, literally spends 40% of the time at the building, in the smoking room.

I think I would request a chocolate break!! ;)

Plenty of guys in my office do that already. Same time each day, paper under the arm, cup of tea, toddling off towards the toilets for a lengthy "chocolate" break. :LOL:

Toilet humour, ain't it swell?

We're not getting into the realms of "What has a hazelnut in every bite? Squirrel Sh*t." territory, are we?

Sponsored Links
Back