Bosch 10.8v tools are going to 12v

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bosch are releasing 12v batteries for their 10.8v range. There may be no fanfare, just a quiet release

The batteries will fit existing tools, and are more or less the same profile

The Yanks are getting a good offer on 2 batteries, a charger and a L-Boxx, we'll just have to see if we get the same deal

Sponsored Links
Wondering what the benefit is? surely the power of the tool is determined by the gears and ratios of the tool itself, so what difference would a 12v battery make?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I thought that they might be realising a 3.0ah 10.8 volt battery to compete with the Milwaukee range.
I'd love to see a small cordless circular saw from Bosch like the one Makita do, I would buy it in a second as I have server all of the 10.8 tools and the battery packs.

Sponsored Links
Seriously, Bosch? You're going to do this, now, too?

****s sake.

They probably won't sell them over here. We have laws about false advertising..

No they're not, they're releasing 10.8v 2.0ah batteries, with 10.8v 4.0ah to come later in the year.

As big all says, all these batteries are the same, it's just that they have a higher voltage output when they're fully charged. A Milwaukee "12v" is exactly the same as a Makita or bosch "10.8v" it's just marketing blurb.

Bosch sell the 10.8v range in the states as "12v" but they're exactly the same as the 10.8v batteries in the uk.

Voltage which instantly disappears if you place the battery under any notable load, which is why they have a nominal voltage of 3.6V, not 4.2V.

12V and 20V Li-ion (12V NiCd or NiMH are legit) are nothing but false advertising.

Voltage which instantly disappears if you place the battery under any notable load, which is why they have a nominal voltage of 3.6V, not 4.2V.

12V and 20V Li-ion (12V NiCd or NiMH are legit) are nothing but false advertising.

The voltage stays at 12v / 20v for around the first 20% which is enough to allow manufacturers to advertise the higher voltage.

It's not right, but it is legal.

The voltage stays at 12v / 20v for around the first 20% which is enough to allow manufacturers to advertise the higher voltage.

Only unloaded. Once loaded it drops, and it's the loaded voltage which matters.

It's not right, but it is legal.

I don't believe it is. And so far there's no sign of Dewalt or Bosch selling these lies in the UK.

I don't believe it is. And so far there's no sign of Dewalt or Bosch selling these lies in the UK.

But others do... Like I say it's just marketing blurb, the battery is capable of reaching 12v so what they're saying is true (even though I agree with your point about being under load.

It's similar to the mpg figures car manufacturers quote - they are reachable, but only in perfect conditions - the normal man on the street will never actually achieve the same mpg as they quote because we drive up and down hills, in windy conditions etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back