Bosch SDS Drill Flex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had to waggle the flex to get it working, so I opened it up.

Sponsored Links
Cut it back and re-terminated - good to go!

Been a good drill that: bought it in 1996 and it's still hammering away on the original brushes!

My 18V SDS broke on me the other day. My boss was using it to chase, I turned it to drill to drill and adaptable box and the selector switch shot off in my face, covering me in SDS grease.

Luckily it's under warranty, so I had a replacement the very next day. Can't see as it'll last me 10 years if that's the rate of failure though

Sponsored Links
Makita, thought I'd put that in the original post :oops:.

I'm slowly becoming converted to Bosch tbh. When the Makita stuff needs replacing it'll be with Bosch. VERY expensive compared to Makita for a lot of things though

I think everyone has their own favourites, Makita, DeWalt and Bosch being popular round here.

I always used to think Bosch were better built, but maybe that is not so true today.

I mean, our old Indesit WM has worked like a donkey and we bought it in 1998. It's had one small repair in that time, outlasting a much newer machine, also Indesit.
Apparently the new Indesits are throwaway models these days.

Maybe that's true of all brands?

I've a Bosch Gop multi tool & it's been a bit shh it battery wise. One's died completely the other doesn't seem to hold much charge and you have to wait for it to cool down before charging - wish i'd go down the Fienmaster route now. Makita tools seem more robust since i've been using them. Dewalt hand tools are pretty reasonable cost wise.

TBH I bought my 18V SDS almost as a throwaway tool. It was £120 body only, which is pretty much what you'd pay for a 110v one anyway, and it keeps up in terms of chasing. Given it had a 3 year warranty I thought I'd give it some stick and if it breaks, warranty it. Which is what's happened, but now I'm back to a fresh 3 year warranty. If it breaks in the first year every time then happy days!

See, I bought a Bosch GOP Multitool and that's swinging me towards Bosch, just bought an 18v circular saw on the strength of it. Is yours the 10.8v version? That's a pile of doggy doo, but I find the 18v actually more powerful than the 230v version - possibly because it's brushless

yeah mine is the 10.8v, it was ok the first few jobs I used it on but wish i'd gone for more voltage now. Great accurate cutting tool when the battery is first fully charged

Both my bosses have the 10.8 and one of them, if you try and cut vertically it cuts out because you lose battery contact.

The 18V is MUCH heavier, but I find it's much more stable, the 10.8 bounces around all over the shop. You press the 18v into something, it'll keep going!

I think I'll stick with Milwaukee. I cored a 5" hole the other day with my 18V combi drill, after the gearbox went on the Makita core drill 5mm into the wall.

My problem has always been battery failure, one can often get a new drill with two batteries for the price of the replacement battery. Phones and cameras batteries are cheap but drills always seem expensive.

Still using old B&D drill had it for many years, the SDS I lent to son and he had the garage broken into an it was stolen. Sorry to say I have lost a lot of tools through theft and came to the conclusion no shiny spanners, and drills cheap enough so not too great of a loss if stolen. Now retired so theft not a problem, but borrowing still is a problem family knows I have tools so they call on me, and they seem slow to return.

I went through two of the 10.8v Bosch gop multi tools in as many years. I've now bought an 18v Makita one and it seems a much more robust unit.

I've got a 110v Bosch drill which only really gets used for heavy work like a full days chopping out and drilling or for diamond coring and it's never missed a beat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back