Bottom of joists drilled and taped up wagos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had an electrician in today to install some new sockets and a new ring for the kitchen and I'm a bit disappointed with the work. After my brief look, I've seen that they've done some of the following and would love your thoughts:

- Drilled through the bottom of multiple long spanning joists right at the ends
- Extended off an existing ring using a taped up wagos above a ceiling and below a stud wall
- One double socket is a single cable spur that's about 5m long - I think this is fine, but I have no idea why they didn't bother extending the ring
- Where they have used maintenance free joints, they've been left hanging (I thought they were meant to be screwed to a joist to be maintenance free?)

Obviously I'm not an electrician (which is why I hired an electrician who had lots of recommendations on our local facebook group), so would appreciate if you think what they've done is fine. I'm really not happy about the joist drilling, as they could have gone a slightly longer route using existing holes. The owner of the company is coming over for a look tomorrow.

Photos attached.

PXL_20220228_184332761.jpeg PXL_20220228_184411528.jpeg PXL_20220228_184617883.jpeg PXL_20220228_184634543.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I can't see the photos, choc block taped up? Might be temporary? I'd expect the MF junction boxes to be fixed if possible though the cables do have clamping bars are they for downlights?

I can't see the photos, choc block taped up? Might be temporary? I'd expect the MF junction boxes to be fixed if possible though the cables do have clamping bars are they for downlights?

I can see the pics when not logged in, maybe a refresh of the page would show them?

On their way out they said let us know when ready for second fix, and they're happy for us to board the ceiling. The pictures are all of the mains rings. I was also under the assumption that MF boxes had to be fixed when possible (and even cable tied shut).

I thought I'd do the down lights myself and am glad I decided to!

Obviously the fact they've done it doesn't fill me with confidence for second fix

i can see them, if that choc block isn't temporary then it needs a maintenance free box. are there wagos inside those boxes? There's no reason why the could fix them to the joist as you say! see what boss man has to say?

Sponsored Links
i can see them, if that choc block isn't temporary then it needs a maintenance free box. are there wagos inside those boxes? There's no reason why the could fix them to the joist as you say! see what boss man has to say?

I completely agree! I'll have to double check on the wagos on the box.

Thanks for your advice, I wanted to check that I wasn't being over picky. We'll see what bossman says tomorrow

Personally I would have drilled those holes slightly higher up if it's possible to get a drill in there but all you're going to do is maybe put a drawing pin to hold Christmas decorations at the most and they won't even penetrate the plaster board.

Personally I would have drilled those holes slightly higher up if it's possible to get a drill in there but all you're going to do is maybe put a drawing pin to hold Christmas decorations at the most and they won't even penetrate the plaster board.
I think the op is more concerned with the integrity of the joists.

I think the op is more concerned with the integrity of the joists.

Indeed I am. I'm not really sure what to do about it. I imagine it will be fine, the joists are from the 90s, so hopefully have some structural integrity unlike today's wood

centre drilling is more to do with compression and tension of the joists which is minimal in the centre of a joist

That's what I thought, with the bottom tension part being the most important
Though with bigger joists i feel its less of a concern, while the holes are in the ceiling maybe worth checking there dimensions, the holes do not look that big to worry about, when you see how much plumbers cut out for pipes sometimes.

Though with bigger joists i feel its less of a concern, while the holes are in the ceiling maybe worth checking there dimensions, the holes do not look that big to worry about, when you see how much plumbers cut out for pipes sometimes.

They're 22mm holes in 220x44 joists over a 4.2m span (max span for such a joist is 4.5m). So there is a slight bit of tolerance I guess. At least the holes are drilled at an angle, so they're more central on the other side.

I told them multiple times the ceiling is being over boarded so they can make much bigger holes.

I find it so frustrating that some tradespeople don't take pride in their work, and do rushed bodge jobs instead. Of all the trades we've had during this house renovation, I'd only get the window guys back, but it's not as though you buy windows regularly!

It's very frustrating for you the householder being more knowledgeable than the tradesmen you employ.

And it's very awkward trying to tell these workers how to do their job.

You get the professionals in, and you should expect a top quality job.

A very decent job should include all the things you DON'T normally see, as well as those that you do.

There are many people I have felt like strangling for doing stupid things that can't be corrected easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back