Bottom of joists drilled and taped up wagos

I see the oval conduit doesn't appear to have many (or any) nails holding it back.

Also not sure if it's set back enough to avoid plaster cracking.

Sponsored Links
Not an electrician, but i laboured for a good electrician many times.
He drill the joists in the middle to avoid weakening them, no matter how small the hole.
He uses maintenance free junction boxes if not accessible and wago boxes (screwed and secured with cable tie) when accessible.
He never used the filmsy connectors since wago came in.
He secures all wires (or conduits) regardless of where they are.
Recently another electrician fixed my friends wires and this is what he did...

Attachments

• 20220201_133519.jpg
    20220201_133519.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 20220201_133625.jpg
    20220201_133625.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 172
It's very frustrating for you the householder being more knowledgeable than the tradesmen you employ.

And it's very awkward trying to tell these workers how to do their job.

You get the professionals in, and you should expect a top quality job.

A very decent job should include all the things you DON'T normally see, as well as those that you do.

There are many people I have felt like strangling for doing stupid things that can't be corrected easily.

Exactly! And it makes you think what happens to people who don't know what to look out for when they've got these people in their house.

What is also a pain is if you try and do any of those yourself and ask questions on some forums, you just get people saying to employ a professional. But I'm really struggling to find any actual professionals!

I see the oval conduit doesn't appear to have many (or any) nails holding it back.

Also not sure if it's set back enough to avoid plaster cracking.

Thanks, that's a good spot. Something else I'll bring up tomorrow

Not an electrician, but i laboured for a good electrician many times.
He drill the joists in the middle to avoid weakening them, no matter how small the hole.
He uses maintenance free junction boxes if not accessible and wago boxes (screwed and secured with cable tie) when accessible.
He never used the filmsy connectors since wago came in.
He secures all wires (or conduits) regardless of where they are.
Recently another electrician fixed my friends wires and this is what he did...

Thats exactly what I would expect! He sounds like a great electrician. He doesn't happen to be in the Bedfordshire area does he?

Sponsored Links
Also, older joists were made of stronger timber.

My Gran's house in Golders Green was flattened during the war and rebuilt afterwards.

She never got over the fact that the "new" house was very flimsily built. Although looking at it from a modern perspective, it looked extremely solid, with deep, wide joists, chunky architraves and skirtings and an extremely solid staircase. Brickwork was well laid and the rendering was intact in the mid 70s.

In case you're wondering, I was going off pictures of the place.

Unfortunately this is a reply I've recieved from the owner. It seems like I'm not going to be able to get through to him. What he is saying is just worrying to me.

Screenshot 2022-03-01 at 11.17.00.png

What's the next port of call? NICEIC?

I also worry about the future work they need to do, and if I try to find someone else they'll think I'm an over fussy customer. Would a good electrician look at the work and know it's not up to scratch?

Last edited:
The holes being that close to the bottom of the joists will significantly weaken the joists.
Impossible to say that unless you know what the span is, the holes near the edge of the joists are well outside the influence of the bending moment diagram and whilst they will have a bearing on the ultimate shear value within this area, shear is usually more than catered for.

I take it that the boss and the person you spoke to are one and the same?

You need to show him the stuff I posted about where you can drill.

As for the Wagos, it is only MF rated if they are enclosed in the correct enclosure, fixed and closed with a tiewrap.
Tape does NOT form double insulation.

I take it that the boss and the person you spoke to are one and the same?

You need to show him the stuff I posted about where you can drill.

As for the Wagos, it is only MF rated if they are enclosed in the correct enclosure, fixed and closed with a tiewrap.
Tape does NOT form double insulation.

Indeed, that was the company owner. I've sent him a bunch of resources for him to learn from regarding the joists, but is this stuff not taught as part of training and tested with assesments?

It's even more frustrating that he won't admit the work isn't up to scratch. If he'd held his hands up I'd have been alright with him. But now I don't know what route to go down.

"Today's" joists aren't as large as ones installed years ago.
Indeed, and if you go back enough years, you'll come across some of the 9" x 3", and even 12" x 4", floor joists I have in some parts of my house - God Bless Georgians and Victorians :)

Kind Regards, John

Indeed, and if you go back enough years, you'll come across some of the 9" x 3", and even 12" x 4", floor joists I have in some parts of my house - God Bless Georgians and Victorians :)

Kind Regards, John

Too right! Not only are they beefier, they're not made out of twisted quick grown pine that you can only get these day. The UK is full of victorian houses still standing strong, I'd love to see the state of some of the current new builds in 150 years!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back