Bottom of wooden door hitting jamb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon folks,

I have two interior wooden doors with the same issue. The bottom of the door is hitting the side jamb well before the top and so you have to really pull it to close it and then off course it pops open when opened because of the pressure on it. The door havent warped so looking for advice of what i need to alter to get these to shut flush.

Sponsored Links
OK.

Loose screws are a fairly common issue.

How much gap is there between the door [on the hinge side] and the door frame? is it [fairly] even or is the gap wideR at either top or bottom of the door?

When you had the door of were there any "packers" between the hinges and the door frame, meaning very thin strips of timber or cardboard or such?

Sponsored Links
OK.

Loose screws are a fairly common issue.

How much gap is there between the door [on the hinge side] and the door frame? is it [fairly] even or is the gap wideR at either top or bottom of the door?

When you had the door of were there any "packers" between the hinges and the door frame, meaning very thin strips of timber or cardboard or such?

It’s a pretty even gap on the hinge side. Tested it with a bit of paper all the way down it. There was no packers on the hinges when I looked.

Have just reread your post.

You have two doors with a similar defect? are they close to each other? and do they suffer from "Heavy use" ??

Have just reread your post.

You have two doors with a similar defect? are they close to each other? and do they suffer from "Heavy use" ??

Nah. They are pretty much opposite sides of the house. They are bedroom doors so light use.

If they used to close without issue and now they're not, something must have changed. If the hinges are intact, screws not loose either in the frame or the door, the easiest way to resolve is to scribe the opening side of the door and plane to remove the excess. Job done.

some photos might be informative.

Are they panelled doors? how old?

some photos might be informative.

Are they panelled doors? how old?
They are solid wood doors. They are only about 12 years old in a new build bungalow. Here are some pics showing the gap decreasing.

Attachments

• 519AC0B5-166D-466E-B900-F04CD5739728.jpeg
    519AC0B5-166D-466E-B900-F04CD5739728.jpeg
    359.4 KB · Views: 85
  • F4DB521B-E0EC-4907-A984-5A1946B4A879.jpeg
    F4DB521B-E0EC-4907-A984-5A1946B4A879.jpeg
    281.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 774D09B2-43D7-442D-8CC9-3F4594286625.jpeg
    774D09B2-43D7-442D-8CC9-3F4594286625.jpeg
    307.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 692F1BA2-0AA3-44C7-9CB1-DE04B10FDA52.jpeg
    692F1BA2-0AA3-44C7-9CB1-DE04B10FDA52.jpeg
    258.8 KB · Views: 81
yes, they are panelled doors in varnished softwood. it is possible for old panelled doors to sag into a trapezoid shape, with the hinge stile higher than the lock stile, and the top rail sloping, but I don't see that. Have the doors and frames had an extra coat of varnish since they went in? They will expand in humid conditions, for example if you drape wet washing over radiators or have steamy showers.

I can't make out the gap. To see it, close the door fully, and stand on the inside (so you would pull the door towards you to open it). You will be able to see the knuckles of the hinges. The gap should be sufficient to run a 10p coin between the edge of the door, and the frame, and this gap should be equal all round the door. Is it? Will a £1 coin fit?

yes, they are panelled doors in varnished softwood. it is possible for old panelled doors to sag into a trapezoid shape, with the hinge stile higher than the lock stile, and the top rail sloping, but I don't see that. Have the doors and frames had an extra coat of varnish since they went in? They will expand in humid conditions, for example if you drape wet washing over radiators or have steamy showers.

I can't make out the gap. To see it, close the door fully, and stand on the inside (so you would pull the door towards you to open it). You will be able to see the knuckles of the hinges. The gap should be sufficient to run a 10p coin between the edge of the door, and the frame, and this gap should be equal all round the door. Is it? Will a £1 coin fit?
Thanks for the quick reply!

Pound coin won’t fit anywhere round the door but the 10p is a good fit for most of it. The only place it gets tight is above the handle till just below the handle. It won’t fit in the gap there.

Attachments

• 9DCD51E7-DFBB-4DAF-89B2-5443B856754A.jpeg
    9DCD51E7-DFBB-4DAF-89B2-5443B856754A.jpeg
    335.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 44A4C8DE-1B28-44D8-845B-21B3EE027502.jpeg
    44A4C8DE-1B28-44D8-845B-21B3EE027502.jpeg
    316.1 KB · Views: 70
And what's the gap like on the hinge side, and along the top?

then I don't see how it can be the "bottom of door hitting jamb"

the bit near the latch could be planed back a bit. If you have a long spirit level or something, test to see if it is the door, or the lining ("frame") that has the bulge in it. You can rub chalk on the edge of the door to show where it is rubbing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back