Boulter Classic 70/90 Boiler Won't Run for CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be humbly grateful if anyone can offer any advice.

We've not owned the house long and the old owners was an ex West Island Crofter, so a bit of a Jack of all Trades, he put in an Oil Boiler (which he inherited) to compliment the Wood/Coal Stove which also heats the Hot Water and Central Heating. As far as I understand it, it's a gravity fed system as there is a small tank in the loft. It has worked fine, until now. When calling for Hot Water the boiler fires up fine, but when calling for the Central Heating it does not (suddenly stopped the other morning). I have checked and replaced the timer switch on the wall and I have also checked that the header tank is full, any ideas would be gratefully received, thank you.

Sponsored Links
Look for a motorised valve or pump not working.
Difficult to guess from your vague description.

I've probably confused it by mentioning the wood burner, sorry about that. It basically a Boulter Classic 70/90 which is housed outside the house controlled from a Centaurplus C21 control panel inside the house. Central Heating and Hot Water are controllable independent of each other.

When I switch the Hot Water on, I can hear a pump start to run and the boiler fires up.

When I switch the Central Heating on, I can hear what I assume is pump run, but the boiler itself does not fire up.

When I look in the cabinet there are what looks like 2 pumps/valves next the actual boiler (assume one is HW and one is CH?), am I right in thinking power goes from the control panel > respective pump > boiler or is it more complex than that? Just trying to grasp the basics before resorting to calling someone out in case I can fix it myself.

TIA

There should be two levers on the 2 port valves from the description you give.
You should be able to move the lever across and latch them open.
If you now switch the hot water on and turn the tank thermostat right up you'll get central heating. Sounds like the motorised valve for the central heating isn't working.

Sponsored Links
No levers, starting to think I have some very weird setup here. There are what appears to be 2 pumps in line, these are inline on the bottom pipe going into the boiler (assume this is the cold/in feed) then nothing on the top pipe which comes into the house and connects to a pipe just above another Pump that pulls water from the Woodburners backboiler, automatically when it detects heat in that pipe.

I'll try to get some photos tomorrow if the weather improves.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Stupid Me :confused: The second "Pump" is a 2 way motorised valve, I have switched it from Auto > to the other setting, when I did this the Boiler Fired Up for a second then switched off, I tried firing it from the control panel but nothing, but then again the Stove is now lite so I am assuming that will affect it, I'll have to wait for it to be cold to test. In my defence the way it was mounted I could not see the lever at first.

Can anyone please tell me what the point of a 2 way motorized valve is on a system like this? Surely its either open or closed, it's not like it is switching between to outlets.

Do what's been suggested above, latch this valve to manual open, then set the hot water to come on. If it's reached its hot water temperature, then run the hot tap for a bit.

See what happeneds.

Check check the valve is still latched to manual.

There is a switch in the valve which turns the boiler and pump on when driven to open.
Opening with the lever will not activate this switch.
The manual lever is for filling and draining.

Do you have a make and model for the motorised valve?
If it is a common one, then you can probably just have to replace a synchron motor, about £15-£18.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back