Boundary Fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if someone could give me some advice.

My very rude and unfriendly neighbour asked me today (for the third time) if I would replace my fence panels (adjoining her property) as they are rather shabby.

Admittedly they are getting old, but they're still standing well and providing a good boundary between the two properties.

I have a row of shrubs in front of them, a small path and then my conservatory, so they are absolutely no problem to me as I can't see them at all, however she's annoyed as they are more visible to her.

Can my neighbour demand I change my fence? Can she demand I repair it? As I said it is standing - one or two of the slats have slid down so there are some holes and in places it is slightly bowed, but it is not on her property in any way?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Maybe repair the slats that have collapsed, give it a coat of protection and see if that appeases her? Maybe stick razor wire up there instead, and point out that you've complied with her request :)

I wonder if someone could give me some advice.

My very rude and unfriendly neighbour asked me today (for the third time) if I would replace my fence panels (adjoining her property) as they are rather shabby.

Admittedly they are getting old, but they're still standing well and providing a good boundary between the two properties.

I have a row of shrubs in front of them, a small path and then my conservatory, so they are absolutely no problem to me as I can't see them at all, however she's annoyed as they are more visible to her.

Can my neighbour demand I change my fence? Can she demand I repair it? As I said it is standing - one or two of the slats have slid down so there are some holes and in places it is slightly bowed, but it is not on her property in any way?

Many thanks.

no she cant. tell her to go forth and multiply

it may be your fence but if im reading this right shes expecting you to go round to her side,carry out any repairs.
and then someone else says go round and paint the sodding thing aswell,

MMMMMMMMM,SHAME SHE AINT MY NEIGHBOUR

Sponsored Links
"so they are absolutely no problem to me as I can't see them at all"

Hmm. To see it from her point of view, regardless of what she is like, it isn't nice looking at shabby fencing.

I would suggest you patch the bits that are unsightly (remember you have a duty of care to keep it in good repair less it break or fall on to her garden).

If this is not sufficient for her, tell her you can't afford a new fence and suggest she puts up a new fence on her side, nothing stopping her doing that.

We all know how dreadful boundary disputes can become.

Good luck!

remember you have a duty of care to keep it in good repair less it break or fall on to her garden.
No you don’t; the duty of care is only one of safety & to ensure it does not present a hazard or cause injury to your neighbour, their children or animals, you are under absolutely no obligation to maintain it unless there is a covenant on you to do so. A shabby fence can be irritating to look at but if you’ve no cash or the desire to repair it & she doesn’t like looking at it, tell her to put up her own fence; inside her boundary of course. If it’s your fence, you can let it rot into the ground if you so wish or even take it down completely; not advised though. She cannot touch, repair, paint it or even fix anything to it (including plants) without your permission, if she does it constitutes criminal damage; you can even paint her side bright pink & she cant touch it but you mustn’t write rude words or insults on it. :LOL:

Thanks for the feedback.

The thought of going round to check for any necessary repairs and then deciding to paint it bright pink makes me smile!

The only repairs necessary would be that a couple of the slats have slid down a bit - don't think that constitues any health and safety risk.

Thanks again.

i was told that each house has a legal responsibilty to erect a garden fence
on one side of the garden and if there is no fence there you can ask your neighbour to put one up on the side they are responsible for?

is this true? i am interested as i have just bought a house which does not
have a fence on either side of the garden apart from a 1 meter high mesh
fence!

Forum Rules;
6) Do not hi-jack posts. Hi-jacking is adding your query to somebody else's thread.

i was told that each house has a legal responsibilty to erect a garden fence on one side of the garden and if there is no fence there you can ask your neighbour to put one up on the side they are responsible for is this true?
Responsibility of boundary fences is usually divided in the way you describe when properties are built & sold but not always. As already stated above, there is no legal requirement to maintain a fence unless there is a covenant in the property deeds that requires you to do so. Covenants were often put in place by local councils when council properties were sold off under the right to buy scheme & small developments can have them in place if the original developer chose to do so. You can also erect your own fence inside your boundary if you choose to do so.

i am interested as i have just bought a house which does not have a fence on either side of the garden apart from a 1 meter high mesh fence!
So that’s a fence; if there is a covenant on the property, it meets the requirement; what else were you expecting :?:

oops! sorry Richard, not my intent to hi-jack the post, do excuse me and thanks for the answer to my question.

oops! sorry Richard, not my intent to hi-jack the post, do excuse me and thanks for the answer to my question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back