Boxing in waste/copper pipes - is there a modular option?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's been many years since I last sorted a bathroom but, sadly, the bullet must be bitten.

Obviously, in the interim it's been realised that the faffing about with custom built boxing-in option is laughable, and a versatile off-the-shelf modular option for hiding the pipework away has become widely available. Something that is cheap, simple to install, reasonably attractive, serviceable, and robust.

Who supplies this? Any ideas would be very welcome.

Dain

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
32mm basin waste chased into 4" brick wall:
IMG_20180919_090138840.jpg

10mm hot and cold for basin chased into brick wall (not even chased in, just a bit of mortar raked out and pipes pushed in):
IMG_20180917_163241193.jpg

Concealed cistern "chased" into 9" wall:
IMG_20180917_163315642.jpg

You can chase out 1/3 vertically, plus your plaster finish.

Bath waste should go under floor between joists or straight out through external wall.

Boxing in pipework is a bit cheap and 1980's - if it's unavoidable (usually with a soil pipe) then tile over it:
IMG_20180919_092931494.jpg

It's dealing with it now and having access later on without disruption that I'm after. A lot of work to create permanent enclosure is ok, until there's a minor problem that undoes everything.

And doing away with as much tiling as possible in the bathroom, or anywhere with increased humidity, is the way forward.

Good luck replacing that flush valve. :eek::eek::eek:

Andy
Apparently it's all accessable from that big hole on the front, hence they have those massive flush plates. The only flaw is the connection to the fill pipe which is made outside the cistern and hence inaccessible when it's tiled over - I've cut a hole in the top so I can pull it in for maintenance.

OP - I know what you mean about access in case of problems so I never conceal a joint or a bend where I can't access it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back