Boxing to hold a shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, a newbie here.
I'm going to rip out my bathroom and put a new suite in, slightly moving the toilet, bath and basin. I need to create some boxing the whole height of the wall out to the same distance of the existing soil stack boxing, and put a shower unit on it.
My question is: how can I make boxing so that it will be strong enough to hold the shower unit (and any pulls on it)? Are there any issues with running the pipework behind boxing?
Many thanks in advance.
T9K

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo t 9 k

am i understanding you properly
you want to cover the part off a wall from floor to ceiling
from the outside edge of the soil pipe to the wall with a shower
supported on it
you will need access for stopcocks accses for hatches on soil stack
will there be any accses required
how deep is it from wall to the front off the soilstack

big all

That's right Big All.
Currently, my soil pipe is in the corner of the bathroom, and boxed in, at about 10 inches by 10 inches. What I want to do is continue this boxing for another 2 feet (approx) to just further to where the edge of the bath will be, and put a shower on the boxing.
Maybe boxing is not the right word - I need a sturdy wall to be able to hold the shower unit and to withstand any movement as I want to tile it.
Should I use plywood / metal poles to give it the rigidity I need? Or shoudl I abandon the idea and put the new shower unit in the same place as the old one (which is already a sturdy wall - however, this wouldn't be ideal as it is near a window that needs a shower curtain over it)

Thanks for your advice on the access to the pipework - now I will make sure I have an access panel above the shower unit.

Best regards,

T9K

Sponsored Links
aquapanel seems to be the stuff

11inch gap what i would suggest a stud wall 3by2 timber
from the shower edge of the soil pipe to the wall 2 feet i belive
tied to the wall at the soilstack end tied to the present stud wall
at the top 1\3 2\3 and bottom
now assuming your shower attachmend requires space behind
attach a noggin horizontaly at the upper and lower edge of where the mechanism will sit with enough clearence to fit through the pannel
you just put farther noggins about 18 to 24 inches in the remaining
hight if it was plasterboard going in [not recomended] it requires
supporting at 400 or 16 inch centres
you just extend your aquapanel over the stack
if you dont want to put any load on the aquapanel outside the frame
you just need to secure a small batton to the wall and the back of
the aqua panel this will allow you to tile the aqua panel and still allow
you to remove the side pannel for accses

you need a plummer to tell you what accses you need for services
as i dont have a clue

good luck

big all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back