Brass to plastic piping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've identified this pipe:

View media item 40608
What I'm wanting to do is put a plastic connector on so I can run a hose pipe off it occasionally. Can I do this, and if so what do I need?
Before I start dismantling this, I thought I better ask the question for piece of mind. :unsure:

I have a horrible feeling this question is beyond simple, but my internet searching has just brought up sites where I can buy different connectors.

Sponsored Links
You say you've identified this pipe! What pipe is it? Where does it come from? Where is this located? Could be hot pipe, could be for central heating. Wounldnt just presume better to do some investigation. If you wanted to run a hose why not put an outside tap. Or is it for an internal Dutch garden?

Okay, thanks for an informative and clear-to-understand response. :confused:
Accepted though, perhaps I needed to be clearer.

This is a spare cold water feed (I have a hot water one just like it, but out of shot in the photo :)) that was set up in case we wanted to later install a second en suite. When I say I've identified it, what I really meant was that I remembered it was there.

Basically, we are looking at having a large fish tank in the office/spare room (which is situated near the loft hatch, and I was looking at an easy way of getting water to it. I remembered the plumber putting this water feed in, and had the bright idea of wondering if I could fill it straight from here (via hose pipe). If I could attach a hose pipe fitting, it would mean I could just attach a hose and run it straight out the loft and into the office on the rare occasion I needed to, saving me a lot of hassle with water containers.

Hope this makes sense.

There's a few ways of doing this, but you sure don't want any leaks around there so consider removing the blanked off piece of copper pipe, adding a short length of copper to the lever valve in its place, followed by a compression coupling onto a hose union bib tap (Toolstation 95844) or similar.
This allows you to connect a hosepipe to the tap, but remove it again when not in use.
Its a good idea to fix the tap to a joist if you can, and you'll need a wall plate elbow for that. (74070).
John :)

Sponsored Links
It has a yellow handle.
Yellow in my book denotes gas!! (My book, Pegler's book, Altecnic's book et al.)
Are you sure it's cold water?

If it ain't his, fish ain't gonna be happy.
Have had these levers specified before on jobs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back