Breaking tiles already in place

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At present my kitchen is extremely poorly tiled - cracks, holes you name it. However i'd like to improve it but there are tiles behind the fixed units. Is it possible to accurately break tiles already in place but just the parts which are visible? I really don't want to have to remove the units, sink etc... just to remove them all. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
the only way to be breaking tiles at the point you want is to use an angle grinder, but be careful its very messy and one false move and you need a new worktop, any other way will just be snpping the tile and not getting the level you want

A 115 mm grinder with a stone cutting wheel will cut tiles easily, but they're not the easiest things to handle if you've no experience of them -- they're a bit vigorous! As an alternative, have you considered a tile cutting tool -- rather like an office paper cutter with a blade that runs along a guide on a bed plate, and with a handle that breaks the tile at the cut. For cutting tiles to odd shapes, like for instance a notch for a pipe to go through, you can get tile saws. These have a string like blade that is coated with diamond or tungsten and works like a fretsaw.
http://www.ciciliotandson.com/

An hammer and a small tungsten tipped chisel I wouldn't even think about taking a mini grinder into your kitcen :eek:
If you haven't got a decent chisel a tile scriber works as well.

Sponsored Links
my personal idea would be a lot simpler and neater

empty the cupboard the tiles are behind and make shure it will move a few mm off the wall when you pull the bottom
remove all the tiles up untill the part coverd tiles
using a thin scraper get behind the tiles and tap with a hammer towards the cabinet as flat as possible and if your lucky the tiles will fully loosen and slip out
if not just make shure you remove as much off the tiles so all rough edges are behind the cabinet and will be coverd by the new tiles

big all dude, i think the whole idea was he didnt want to move cupboards etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back