Brick-layer from hell.

You're honestly saying £5400 a month or £55000 a year taking say 2months un-paid leave in said year is reasonable?

who said brickies are earning £55k per year, they get paid when they work and nowt in winter i caant believe the stick i'm taking for this :LOL: it will be the last time i stand up for the much chuckers

Sponsored Links
Kirkgas, I'm pretty much with you on this one. Whilst I can only dream of a day rate of £250 (although I do sometime pick that up on quoted work), I understand the need to charge enough to cover all the circumstances of being self-employed.

You've got 365 days in a year, but let's assume a 40hr week over 5 days, with weekends off, so that's 260 working days.

6 weeks holiday (which is generous but not uncommon in many companies) - leaves 230 days.

8 Bank holidays - 222 days

Sickness (2 and I bet the national average is more than that) - 220 days.

No work available / customer cancels / rain affects play (30) - Leaves our intrepid tradesman with 190 days to earn his living.

Out of his money he has to pay his running costs. That depends on how he is set up, but I'm a cheap Sole Trader so can do it for 10%.

Then he's got to save for his pension. No employer to contribute so he's going to have to put in 10% to stand a chance of retiring.

Tax and NI is 28% (but lets call it 25% to take into account his personal allowance)

So of his 190 days pay, he has to allocate around 35% (need to allow for the percentages to be compounded) to essential items.

Having done the calculations, and knowing what you want / need to take home in a month allows you to fix a day rate. Whether or not a Customer will pay it is another matter.

You're honestly saying £5400 a month or £55000 a year taking say 2months un-paid leave in said year is reasonable?

who said brickies are earning £55k per year, they get paid when they work and nowt in winter i caant believe the stick i'm taking for this :LOL: it will be the last time i stand up for the much chuckers

I think your right Kirk. lots of day when there is no work so should earn a good rate when they can work.

Sponsored Links
UPDATE:

When I told the 'bricklayer' to go away, he phoned me and said he would pay any costs that I have spent/wasted. I told him that it come to approx £500.

That was 6 days ago. I have not heard from him. So last night I called him and his phone went straight to answer phone, I did leave a message.

Now I know he comes to visit his parents-in-law normally every sunday or every other sunday. (which are neighbours)

So what do you guys think I should do now.

I'm still VERY angry and out of pocket :evil: :evil: :evil:

Andy

These things are 'relative'.

If you live on a hill, 32mm is nothing. If it's an olde-worldy cottage, 32mm is nothing. It could be argued that in some circumstances, level lines can take away the charm, and a level wall on a hill sometimes looks wrong.

But if these oddities aren't the case, for £250 per day, I'd expect 'level'

Have you knocked it down?
If still up, you need to take pictures with your level in situ.
And obviously keep a record of what it costs to replace.

I had a guy build a garden wall for me once. Modeled on a banana.
I was stupid enough to pay him (although nothing like £250!). Knocked ir down and rebuilt it myself.

Hang on to the dosh 'till the jobs done, then do your sums. It shouldn't end up costing you (much) more than you initially expected.

1 ton of sand £36.00
5 bags of lime £34 (which I have found out that I don't need)
3 bags cement £10
Skip £120
New Bricks £164 plus VAT IS £428 + £100 to pay a labourer to knock it down and load skip.

Total £528.00

Please note 32mm out looks bl@@dy terrible, plus the piers are not level, also built onto neighbours property by 70mm.

Now tell me it's 'relative'

stupid question, how do you know it's not YOUR level that's out?

when you knock it down, check the foundations are level.. if they are out 50mm or so then how hard is it to take account of that with the mortar lines ove 4m?

stupid question, how do you know it's not YOUR level that's out?

when you knock it down, check the foundations are level.. if they are out 50mm or so then how hard is it to take account of that with the mortar lines ove 4m?

Something tells me that Herts's foundations would have been level.

Surely though, if they weren't, and it was going to be a problem, any brickie worth his sodium chloride would have raised the subject before starting.

Dear Col, my level is dead level. Just to let you know that to check a level all you have to do is turn it round and make sure you have the same reading

The foundations are over 4 metres long and is approx. 12mm out. This was told to the 'bricky', his reply was 'thats no problem, I work to architects drawings with a 2mm tolerance, you will have a perfect wall, if not then don't pay me'.

Once I pointed out that his brick work was 32mm out his reply was, 'it's only a garden wall'

Thats when I saw the red mist.

i appreciate this job has now turned in to a pig in a poke for you, but a couple of things, you want to hire a skip to dump the bricks, surely they are re-useable if they are brand new, and (at the risk of getting pelters again) you baulked at paying £250 to get a job done but you will give a labourer £100 to chuck it all in the skip, how long would it take a labourer to belt it down and chuck it in the skip (as i said surely the bricks could be cleaned up and re-used, which would perhaps involve a good few hours, which could cost £100 but would save buying new bricks), where is the "swing them and prepare to get them kicked" emoticon :LOL:

I am with Kirkgas on the subject of wages, i have a re-grouting job on tomorrow will take me approx 6 hrs start to finish, my labour charge is £200.

On the subject of getting what you pay for, the brickie done a bad job therefore does not get paid and he should incur the costs of rectifying the wall, BUT he should not pay for skip hire, those bricks can be cleaned off and re-used

Sponsored Links
Back