Brick-layer from hell.

Sponsored Links
So who should pay for the bricks to be cleaned up?

my best mate the brickie :oops:
i agree the guy should get no pay for the job and is liable for the cost of cleaning the bricks, more sand & cement and what ever else was purchased to do the job, but the reality is, and this needs to be clarified, was the guy SE or was it a homer, depending on "who" he was will determine what refund if any the OP will get, i know it is a sh1t job and there isnt really going to be a happy ending to it, the OP is going to be out cash, my mate is down for his labour, but if he doesnt have any cash would the OP have himback to clean up the bricks (if he would come back anyway, he might be scunnered with the job and wouldnt come back under any circumstances) if it is a homer then the OP has to take it on the chin, and "you get what you pay for", or "use a cowboy expect to get left with some **** on your shoe" springs to mind

5 bags of lime £34 (which I have found out that I don't need)

I would suggest you do need the lime. Using cement and sand alone will give a hard, inflexible mortar. When the ground moves (as it does) the wall will crack.

3 bags cement £10
'

This is really the one you don't need. It's only there because it makes it easier to build the wall, not because it makes it better.

If you find this hard to believe, go and have a look at old bridges on the canals. Built with lime mortar, and they're still standing. As are hundreds of thousands of Victorian houses, mills, walls etc.

Sponsored Links
Wickes spirit level I see. ;)

Very poor job. I'm all for diy but you have to pay for time served skilled trademen for some things.

Unfortunately you don't always get what you have paid for. :(

Was this brickie recommended to you. :?:

He's my neighbours son-in-law, who said that he worked on the arches at St. Pancras claiming he worked to a 2mm tolerence.

5 bags of lime £34 (which I have found out that I don't need)

I would suggest you do need the lime. Using cement and sand alone will give a hard, inflexible mortar. When the ground moves (as it does) the wall will crack.

3 bags cement £10
'

This is really the one you don't need. It's only there because it makes it easier to build the wall, not because it makes it better.If you find this hard to believe, go and have a look at old bridges on the canals. Built with lime mortar, and they're still standing. As are hundreds of thousands of Victorian houses, mills, walls etc.
Aye ( Fred Dibnah voice) Tha` knows that t`mortar is t` keep bricks apart - not t` hold them together :idea: ;)did ye like that?

Heck it is only a garden wall.

Couldn't you have put those pointed long stones on top levelling them up with morter?

Heck it is only a garden wall.

Couldn't you have put those pointed long stones on top levelling them up with morter?

Are you for real?

Many years ago my dad had a garden wall built, and it ended up a similar mess to our friend HertsDrainage's wall.

However it was cheap. So I had the brainwave of putting coping stones on top with a thin mortar bed at one end and about 60mm at the other.

Believe me, after thirty years of weathering it still looks a bl***y eyesore.

Sponsored Links
Back