Brick spacing above cavity lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've done some lintels and have seen some things that say you should have wall ties within 225mm above a lintel. This would make perfect sense for concrete lintels etc., but I'm wondering whether the cavity lintels act as wall ties too. The docs aren't clear but say it creates stability between the leaves and split lintels require more wall ties. My lintels are thermally broken, but are tied together with metal straps along the bottom.

Sponsored Links
This is what my lintel looks like from below. You can see the metal straps under the polystyrene insulation.
20230811_104730.jpg

you should have wall ties within 225mm above a lintel.
That spec doesn't work at all. Either the masonry above a lintel is just infill to wall plate level or there is masonry walling above, in which case there would be a cavity tray in that area. No room for a wall tie.

General specification for wall ties is they should be placed within 225mm of openings. This really refers to the open sides of windows and doors where the general strength is weakened by the open sides. This normally isn't used in reference to lintels. I wonder if somebody has read the 225 rule and applied that incorrectly?

You are right about a cavity tray. The tray goes up 225, so there's nothing to stop me putting ties on the same course as the tray on the inner skin. I will actually have 450mm of masonry above the lintel, and then a flat roof.

The image on this page clearly shows 225 between the top of the window and the wall ties. In fact, it doesn't mention lintels, it's just because it's an opening.

Sponsored Links
You would just run the ties across on the same course/gauge as that on each side of the opening.

You would just run the ties across on the same course/gauge as that on each side of the opening.
Each side of the opening is 225mm (every course of block), or do you mean normal spacing i.e. 450mm vertically in my case?

Ties are installed every 450 max, so you follow that coursing.

The requirement for the sides of openings is just for the sides of openings.

Ties are installed every 450 max, so you follow that coursing.

The requirement for the sides of openings is just for the sides of openings.
Is the Ancon diagram wrong? It clearly shows 225mm above the openings. Does the same apply to my concrete lintels (going into the garage), or should I put ties on the lintel (as close to the opening as possible or is 450mm fine?

The diagram is wrong. The lintel is a tie, to comply with regulations, the next course of ties should be 450 above the lintel. I wouldn't put a course of ties on the cavity tray.

Thank you, that's what I though (y). What about the concrete lintels? I'm guessing that those do need ties?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back