brick work design - can you buy half tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I am fitting a bathroom sold to me by one of the big places.
We have opted for rectangular tiles to be fitted in brickwork pattern. Designer just said to use half one end and the other half of same tile at other end (ie no wastage). Anyway the tiles are bevelled in on all four edges (so surely the end of a run if not against anothe r wall is not going to look nice) . I am wondering whether it is reasonable to expect a manufacturer to produce half tiles bevelled on all four edges.
hope this makes sense
Any views?
thanks

Sponsored Links
not a practical solution really because no wall is exactly full tile widths so you always need a cut tile so a half shaped tile will serve no real purpose other than double the number off tiles that need to be stocked

Whilst you can successfully lay bevelled edge tiles brick bond between two opposing walls, it doesn’t work on external corners or open end tiling, as your now starting to realise. It’ll never look any good & I don’t believe you can get ½ tiles. You can do easily do it with plain flat tiles (I have them in my own kitchen) but not bevelled edge.

I don’t really understand why bevelled edge have suddenly become so popular. They present problems (especially crackle glazed) &, IMO, make the room look like a Victorian public toilet, thankfully most of which have now disappeared!

they are very popular at the moment.

its a question we get asked a lot in the shop, to be honest i think too much is made of the bevel, its actually only 1.5 - 2mm lower than the face. a trim and good grout job looks fine.

Sponsored Links
I've not seen halves for the bevel edge tiles but have done a few kitchens with glass brick style tiles which you can get a half tile for, ideal for external corners and stopped ends.

Well infact they are a fraction shorter than half to allow for a grout line.

J

thanks for all the replies
fortunately I don't have any external corners
I'll manage the ends somehow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back