Bricklaying on your own

Interesting thanks for the detailed response @JohnD , although I thought that concrete wasn't watertight. Does that depend on the strength, ie 6 to 1 would be easier to get going again but 3 to 1 not so much due to having less free space between the sand?

Sponsored Links
different thing.

Concrete is usually somewhat porous, and has tiny cracks. Denser and better quality less so, and additives are available.

The concept is that every particle of aggregate should be coated in sand, every particle of sand should be coated in cement, and every particle of cement should be coated in water, with no excess beyond that required. It is not possible to achieve perfection, though some experimental concretes in laboratory condition can perform much better than ordinary mix.

Water also lubricates the mix so it can be placed and flows better. But excess water evaporates, leaving air spaces which have no strength.

Interesting, so doors that mean only the excess water evaporates, the water needed to coat the cement is actually used in the reaction and never evaporates?
So the point is the bulk water can evaporate through tiny cracks (and new water can soak through these cracks later) but overall, the water is sealed in/out by the cured cement.

Interestingly, this suggests that the concrete could have a slight self healing quality if you let it dry out before full strength, as if it cracks/moves slightly, cement that wasn't fully cured will be exposed to the atmosphere. As you mentioned further up the thread.

A small proportion of the water is used in the reaction that hardens the cement. But most of the water is needed to lubricate the mix.

Sponsored Links
I wonder why the speed of "crystallisation" is much faster on a hot dry summer's day than on a cold damp winter's day.

Obviously nothing to do with drying out then. :rolleyes:

Same reason that a teaspoon of sugar in your hot cup of tea dissolves faster than in a cold glass of water. Higher temperatures cause molecular interactions to happen faster.

You acknowledge the problem in your next post, when you say that summer heat can turn mortar back into sand/cement - if the water is evaporated before the curing occurs, the aggregates will not bind, because the presence of water is necessary for the crystallisation.

Last edited:
I laid a few bricks last night that I removed earlier the same day. After reading this thread I decided to chuck them in a bucket of water, I could hear them fizz!!!

The were bone dry within seconds of taking them out so I dunked them again until the surface stayed moist. I bet they would have soon sucked the water from the mortar.

How long can you have a string line?

I need to raise the side of my house by 3ft and the wall is 8mtrs long. Should I be stringing it in 2 lots of 4mtrs or just do the 8mtrs in one?

How long can you have a string line?

I need to raise the side of my house by 3ft and the wall is 8mtrs long. Should I be stringing it in 2 lots of 4mtrs or just do the 8mtrs in one?
I'm building an 8m long fella as we speak. I get the line taught - and I mean taught. I actually tune the line to an E flat.:mrgreen:

Noseall, do you use profiles or line pins, or wrap it round bricks. I've never used pins, and when I'm using profiles I can get it really tight, but when stringing across I wrap it round a couple of bricks, which means I can only get it as tight as it takes to move the bricks, which normally happens when I accidentally knock it half way along. I guess I'm missing a trick. (I never said I was a bricky :D(y) )

Those cheap little plastic blocks are great. I'm a convert having switched from brick wrapping this year!

But only from external corner at each end, right? Agree they're great once you stop dropping them every time the line is released ... Oh no wait I still do (y)

But only from external corner at each end, right? Agree they're great once you stop dropping them every time the line is released ... Oh no wait I still do (y)

Yes - only external corners. I also spent £25 on some of the fancy spring clamps which I'm very pleased with. Ideal when you don't have external corners, but they're a tad pricey.

Are they the armeg line runners?
I like the idea of pins but when i see them used by brickies they seem to pin the end then hook the line over or under a brick rather than just strung directly across a course, and I've never really worked out how that works!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back