Bricklaying on your own

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Won't take long for 9mm MDF to turn into 18mm LDF when it's in contact with moisture!

expert level

647580-weekend-morning-awesomeness-215.jpg

I think my brick laying career is over now.

I pulled the old window out, bricked it up and put the new one in. It's looks ok from a long distance. A proper Bricky is doing the front in about 4 weeks.

IMG_3080.JPG

IMG_3082.JPG

IMG_3090.JPG

Last edited:
Well the bricky ran over on his last job so didn't come, then the roofer had a job cancelled so came early which meant I had to lay more bricks.

This weekend I need to replace a couple oflingels and do s couple of rows of brick and block.

It's snowing outside so I'm a bit paranoid about frost.

Should I add a frost proofer and what effect will it have on my mortar?

IMG_4757.JPG

Mortar sets by a crystalline growth reaction in the cement, which is unfortunately slower than the crystalline growth of water crystals when water freezes; if the water in your mortar freezes it expands and weakens/breaks up the curing mortar, meaning it may never cure and harden properly. In these weather conditions if there's a risk of frost, add something to counter it, dosing instructions on the pack. Frostproofed mortar isn't quite a strong (all additives have a detrimental effect) but it's a lot stronger than mortar that froze while curing!

Thanks, I'll go and get some (y)

Do I still use the plasticiser with it?

Last edited:
Soldiers over a steel lintel.....:eek: As tough as it gets.

Gently prop the lintel.

Make sure all your perp' joints are full.

Your bricks will try and tip forwards so don't bother using a line. Rather, lay all the bricks a upright as you can, then once all the perp's are well and truly full, you should be able to tap the bricks back to upright, using a long straight edge.

Cuts facing up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back