Bricklaying on your own

Ta da!!

IMG_2703.JPG

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
IMHO Reverse bond still looks better than a bat in the middle.

If there are quoins or bonded brick quoins then that will make a big difference.

Also if there is any central feature in the panel, especially an arch, then reversing the bond will create asymmetrical cuts around the feature, and that will be very noticeable.

That's why we have rules.

One extension we built was constructed off pillars and lintels. We basically built a first floor extension off pillars and XHD lintels. We had to work out the bond (off the concrete) so that when we built the pillars up to lintel height, the brickwork that chased across the lintels was in bond with all the pillar masonry.

Now that was a tough one.:mrgreen:

If there are quoins or bonded brick quoins then that will make a big difference.

Also if there is any central feature in the panel, especially an arch, then reversing the bond will create asymmetrical cuts around the feature, and that will be very noticeable.

That's why we have rules.
True there are times when you need to stick to them, and other times when you need to bend a bit.

Ian, why is your boss' avatar a close up of the hulk being squeezed out of an arse crack?

Can anyone give me some advice on laying soldiers?

I have a 117cm opening and I'm up to the lintel. There need to be soldiers on the lintel and another 2 rows of bricks to the sides.

I need to cut the soldiers so should I have the cuts facing up or down? And if they don't fit the 117cm gap should I cut a couple of them thinner or have them overlap the sides and cut the normal bricks?

Thanks

Why can't you use full bricks as soldiers height wise?
Width wide adjust the soldier joints so they fit rather than cutting into any bricks or cutting the soldiers
If you are cutting, cut edge would go upwards
But I've only ever done it once so someone more knowledgeable can feel free to contradict me.

How goods your bricklaying, and assuming you've got a 65mm brick width, then you'd get 15 bricks with a 12mm perp.

The second brick will be up to the rafters, I just did 1170 \ 83 and it looks like 14 might fit just right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back