Brit gas trying to kill a customer

I fully understand why the BG engineer had to turn off the boiler. It was AR and he will have asked to occupant who presumably gave her agreement.

He left the fire front working so she did not freeze.

What I dont understand is why he did not quote for correcting the ventilation. Can any BG guy explain why they dont give this quote to make it comply?

In this case one would have expected all this would have happened during 2008 when the 90% rule was imposed.

Was this a Gas Safe decision or just a BG policy ?

Tony

Sponsored Links
There is no reason why he didn't leave a quote other than laziness.

If he was being sensible he would have increased the vent size FOC, problem solved.

So I change vent cover and make vent larger wot is 100cm squared in inches, the largest gas vent grill at b& q is 9inches by 9 inches.

By the way I did turn her boiler on, Yes i did say it was minus 7

Did it have one of those nice screens on to stop spiders getting in?

Sponsored Links
It's probably one of those really handy ones you can slide closed to stop the draughts coming in ;)

The government changed the Regulation in 2008. Most air vents on BG contract were upgraded from 2006 at a discounted price, of course some people refused. A vent with less then 90% required free air will deemed At Risk (Meaning you use the appliance at your own risk)

This will be explained to the customer and all the engineer will do is turn the appliance of at the user controls.

A serious issue will mean the boilers gas supply will be capped make the appliance unusable. Ventilation issue isn't deemed serious as that unless the appliance effected by the lack of ventilation.

The engineer was only following regulations. If they hadn't the book could have been thrown at them.

As a rule I quote for ventilation upgrade (BG Engineer) 100cm2 Core vent, clean and simple job.

DoItAll has a serious beef with BG, hope it doesn't rule your life, need to harvest that potato felid on your shoulder. :)

Does taking off a 6 foot x 2foot6 door to the living room so that the back boiler can get air - As a temporary measure - contravene some God given ruling :rolleyes: - Or does The Rule of H+S yet again overcome common frickin` sense

Still doesn't create a vent does it. It just makes a bigger room. :rolleyes:

The engineer was only following regulations. If they hadn't the book could have been thrown at them.

DoItAll has a serious beef with BG, hope it doesn't rule your life, need to harvest that potato felid on your shoulder. :)

Of course I have a serious beef with BG they took my mate to the cleaner, and he isn't the only one by a long way but lets not go there.

Tom says the engineer was following regulation, and they would have thrown the book at him.

Why are BG still servicing the remaining boiler.

Answer me this then.

Two identical floor standing OV boilers in first class condition, both with the same size vent in the door.

One he services and passes as ok the one next door he turns off and make a big thing about the ventilation.

If one was AR or NCS then they both would be.

Of course I have a serious beef with BG they took my mate to the cleaner, and he isn't the only one by a long way but lets not go there.

Tom says the engineer was following regulation, and they would have thrown the book at him.

Answer me this then.

Two identical floor standing OV boilers in first class condition, both with the same size vent in the door.

One he services and passes as ok the one next door he turns off and make a big thing about the ventilation.

If one was AR or NCS then they both would be.

AR makes no difference for servicing. As long as it is properly classified after every visit it is up to the householder to make the decision....it is his house after all.

Your mate has been daft, if he was at all concerned about the situation he would have stopped all work and called in a third party, he didn't, I have little sympathy, even less after your supposed advice.

DIA you ask why are BG still servicing the remaining boiler ?
When i asked earlier did you advise them about increasing vent size you said you did , so i would imagine they followed your advise especially after what you must have pointed out to them what happened to next door.
Surely they would not refuse advise from a qualified guy who takes the time to explain it to them. ?

Must be 2years roughly, 3 maximum.

Got some dates on the other computer I think when I get back from snooker.

Did they pay by credit?

Nope Cheque, the guy is in his 80s and may have trouble with credit.

2 years ago, there was NO right to cancel any contract, apart from personal credit deals. The only right to cancel existed where the sale was the result of a properly defined "cold call". An arranged visit carried no rights, so BG were NOT breaking the law when refusing to fully refund.

I am not saying it was fair, but that was the way it was.

The contract was even supported by independant witnesses, so there can be no suggestion of duress!

Quite the opposite Fireman, they was under a lot of duress thanks to the sales shark

Interesting comments nickso.

A. why did they turn the boiler off in that case.

B. was it just luck that the sales shark was round the corner, or were they working together.

C. off course he was daft, they are in their 80s and don't want this type of hassle, understandable I would say. And certainly why BG target the old people to rip off.

Does taking off a 6 foot x 2foot6 door to the living room so that the back boiler can get air - As a temporary measure - contravene some God given ruling :rolleyes: - Or does The Rule of H+S yet again overcome common frickin` sense

Still doesn't create a vent does it. It just makes a bigger room. :rolleyes:
Temporary job until the resident can get a Gas Safe bod with a core drill to remedy . OK leave the back door open too :rolleyes: Of course you can`t trust old people not to shut the living room door and put a draft snake along the bottom - or stuff socks into the wall vent . You can trust Gas Safe fitters to argue and H+S to rule our lives :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back