Brit gas trying to kill a customer

Sponsored Links
I agree BGSMJack NTC is NTC according to the regs but since when has NTC been a turn off and scarper.

My objection is the sales sharks ripping them off, even BG rates shouldn't have been more than £2.5k.

They was waiting round the corner, and pounced the minute the engineer left, then proceeded to frighten the life out of the old dears.

There was an independent witness to all this, but my friends didn't was the fuss of doing anything about it.

Im always under the assumption that an ventilation requirements not met are AR, unless i can get my hands on the MI.

As for the original OP, it seems you've made a mountain out of a mole hill. It would appear the engineer has made a decision, and you've accused BG of trying to kill a customer.

yes BSM your correct ventilation on an OF not within 90% requirement is AR from 2008 I think it was, and if its in a building connected to the property its still AR.
The regs havent changed, but the categories have.
Bg in this instance have carried out their job correctly. You can argue about duty of care, ie lack of secondary heat, but technically apart from running out of labels they've carried out the job to the letter of the law.
Obviously any independant would probably have sorted the vent issue there and then, but thats what you get with service companies.

Sponsored Links
Amazing how many time i was called out on emergency gas leaks /fumes etc and when you turn people off they then moan like fek because you have possibly saved their lives but have left them inconvenienced for a few days.Usually because they have been too tight to get things done properly even after being advised.

DIA your opinion on this topic has been clouded by your dislike of BG.

Have vent size changed in the last year, reason why I ask a old lady of 84years old over road to me had her back boiler serviced by brit gas he said regs had changed and turned boiler of due to vent being to small, the size was 9 inches by 6 inches. The boiler had been serviced by brit gas for the last 15 years, the temp outside was - 7 was he trying to kill her.

So I change vent cover and make vent larger wot is 100cm squared in inches, the largest gas vent grill at b& q is 9inches by 9 inches.

By the way I did turn her boiler on, Yes i did say it was minus 7
Does taking off a 6 foot x 2foot6 door to the living room so that the back boiler can get air - As a temporary measure - contravene some God given ruling :rolleyes: - Or does The Rule of H+S yet again overcome common frickin` sense

Amazing how many time i was called out on emergency gas leaks /fumes etc and when you turn people off they then moan like fek because you have possibly saved their lives but have left them inconvenienced for a few days.Usually because they have been too tight to get things done properly even after being advised.

DIA your opinion on this topic has been clouded by your dislike of BG.

Nothing personally to BG, Namsag.

I don't like any Company that make a killing ripping off old people, and I don't like sales sharks that tells a pack of lies even more. BG qualify for both, and a lot more.

the calculation for ventillation needs is detailed in the approapriate regulations. You would need to know max output of appliance, other appliances in the room, extraction influences, adventicious air, and then work out the cross sectional areas of ventillation required.

I think the OP title maybe true.

its not that the BG engineer did or didn't do is RGI job correctly but that he has a duty of care to that elderly woman over and above what the gas regs state he has to do.

a reasonable person would say that cutting the heating in this weather would have a high likelihood of doing harm to this elderly person.

if the engineer contact family or friends to insure that someone was coming to take care of her or supply electric heaters then I would say he has acted with due care.

if on the other hand it was a cut and run then I think that BG has a case to answer for.

We all have a duty of care under the law you can't kill people indirectly with lack of due care...no matter what the gas regs state

100sqm of free air... should cover all bases, with the little info in the OP. But i've edited it now.

But thats larger than her entire back wall !

Doesn't anyone take physics GCSE any more?

100sqm of free air... should cover all bases, with the little info in the OP. But i've edited it now.

But thats larger than her entire back wall !

Doesn't anyone take physics GCSE any more?

Oops, now i see why DIA picked me up on it :-/

@Mehman, so in a nutshell, we are dammed if we do and dammed if we dont?

Hey im not gonna cut your appliance off because you've got no family or friends to help you. but in a few hours you're going to die. Doesnt really make sense. We dont know the whole story.

The OP even stated later that the thing was only turned off at the timer clock and that the pilot light was still on, Was this the engineers duty of care and conscience coming into play? Id say so.

been wondering why 100 square meters has been quoted loads!

so that would be 10 meters wide by 10 meters tall?

the foundations for my house aint 100 sq. meters! :LOL:

maybe he meant 100 square centimeters??
aka 10cm x 10cm

if he's talking cubic meters, that different again!

I did of course mean 100sqcm.

Editing files within the game arma2. Those files are SQM, and a headfukk...

I knew exactly what you meant BGSMJack, but you know how it is, and on a Sunday as well.

Off course one cannot be sure, but I don't think even BG would suggest knocking the end wall out for ventilation. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back