British Gas engineers.

But if you supply the materials you then become responsible for them? The mark up is to cover this rather than add to a profit margin? Hopefully all will be well and the mark up can be realised but just in case or am I as a no-professional missing something?

Sponsored Links
But if you supply the materials you then become responsible for them? The mark up is to cover this rather than add to a profit margin? Hopefully all will be well and the mark up can be realised but just in case or am I as a no-professional missing something?

Your right.. boilers come with big warranty so I won't mark them up so much but if say a Honeywell TRV goes wrong then I have to deal with it at my cost. Honeywell won't send an engineer out to fix it.

I usually get my VAT reg customers to buy the gear, otherwise 20% mark up

I have never understood this "mark up" philosophy.

It makes your labour rate seem lower - but not really.

As in the thread in Electrics where a poster was quoted the total cost includes £300 for certificates which are mandatory, it makes no difference to the total cost - which is all a customer cares about.

Sponsored Links
Just give the customer a fixed price, job done.

The only problem there is when they ask for a break down, I tell them it is a fixed price of what I'm going to do, weather it takes 2 hours or 2 days.

Andy

So what do you do when you find the drain is cracked while your trying to clear a blockage

I have never understood this "mark up" philosophy.

It makes your labour rate seem lower - but not really.

As in the thread in Electrics where a poster was quoted the total cost includes £300 for certificates which are mandatory, it makes no difference to the total cost - which is all a customer cares about.

If I supply a boiler and the boiler goes wrong, I call them and they fix it.

If I installed a Honeywell 3 port valve for ypu and it goes wrong who do you call to fix the problem?

I can normally find a collapsed drain within 10 mins. Then it is back to the customer to have a dig up.

Andy

I can normally find a collapsed drain within 10 mins. Then it is back to the customer to have a dig up.

Andy

But then that's not a fixed price... I'm the same I don't know what I'm going to find until I delve closer. Recently I have started charging for the unexpected its separate to my mark up. Mark up is on new materials.

I have come across 3 or 4 collapsed drains in the past 30 years, so they are quite rare to be completely collapsed. I give the fixed price for clearance, but if it can't be cleared because of a collapsed pipe, I would walk away. Like I say, it doesn't happen often.

Andy

Recently I have started charging for the unexpected its separate to my mark up. Mark up is on new materials.
It doesn't matter how you do it, does it? The total is the same.

Charge £2,000 (or whatever) labour and tell them the boiler is free.
Charge £2,000 (or whatever) for the boiler and tell them you will fit it for nothing.

Sponsored Links
Back