Broadband

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If anybody is with Telewest for their broadband service, it is worth looking round at the other providers who are offering a much better deal.

I was on 256 speed for £17.99 a month and noticed Wanadoo and Tiscali offerring 1 meg (which is 4 times faster) for around the same money.
:eek:
It seems Telewest are not in any hurry to look after existing customers.

I threatened them with cancellation and they upped my service to 1 meg for £2 extra a month.:cool:

The difference is phenomenal and I advise anybody on 256 to upgrade.
Well worth the extra money and with the competition around, should not cost much more.

I do realise that I can download spyware 4 times faster as well. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
There's a bit more to choosing an ISP than speed per pound. A friend of mine who used to swear by Tiscali has been finding this out the hard way. He started out full of praise because he was paying for 3X broadband but appeared to be getting 10X most of the time. Then the trouble started.

Dropped connections, no connection, Tiscali blaming BT, BT blaming Tiscali, etc, etc. Now this can happen with any ISP that grows too fast for its infrastructure but there was more. They never, ever replied to e-mails (I could have told him that) and the only way to ring them up was on a 50p per minute number - whereupon they kept him in a queue for 20 minutes. Perhaps this is their way of getting paid for all that 10X connection time!

The moral of the story? Expect s**t to happen and choose an ISP you can ring up on a standard rate number.

Sponsored Links
I chose an ISP who, by coincidence, had their HQ in the town I work in. So, when I had problems getting connected I was able to go to their offices in my lunchtime. They were some top blokes, and the receptionist directed me to a comfy sofa and offered me coffee whilst I waited... Turned out they thought I was a corporate customer because I was there in a smart suit and ID badge :LOL:

As it happens, even after I realised their mistake and explained I was a residential customer, they were still just as nice and (surprisingly) knowledgable about the technology! :eek:

Bulldog are a good deal at the moment, provided your exchange has capacity for 4mbps ADSL, and your phoneline is capable too. I signed up but the whoosh test showed I couldn't even get 1mbps :cry:

saw an advert for unlimited 512 broadband £9.99 a month within my value for money parameters but on logging into the site and pressing the test if you are able to receive it in your area button i was informed that the 9.99 service is unavailable but a 19.99 service is! very strange??!

kendor said:
saw an advert for unlimited 512 broadband £9.99 a month within my value for money parameters but on logging into the site and pressing the test if you are able to receive it in your area button i was informed that the 9.99 service is unavailable but a 19.99 service is! very strange??!

You probably have to be so close to the exchange that you can hear it buzzin' through your wall :D

Igorian said:
kendor said:

You probably have to be so close to the exchange that you can hear it buzzin' through your wall :D
what puzzles me is i'm not within the area for the 9.99 service but am forv the 19.99 service?? bit of dodgy advertising speel to grab your attention methinks ;)

same here at work T1 connection but i would still like to get cheap broadband at home less than a tenner.

Don't be tight !! Get that wallet out Kulendor !! :D

You would not get half a gallon of potential p**s for a tenner today !! :D

pipme said:
Don't be tight !! Get that wallet out Kulendor !! :D
Don't forget pippeeee, he's Browny high tax friend and he's better off :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back